Gibson Brands Forums

My "new" '73 SG Special

rfiori9

I just picked up a '73 special and had some questions that I hope you guys could answer. I pulled the neck pickup as I was cleaning it up and saw there are no numbers or markings on the bottom of the P90. Is this normal? Did they usually not stamp them? Also, I know it needs a good setup but does anyone else have an issue with the high e and b strings fretting out when bending around frets 14-19?

If it's fretting out that high you may need to give the neck some releif... (lefty loosie on the truss rod) just a quarter turn at a time. Capo the first fret and fret the last fret and slide a business card under the 7th fret. If it's a tight fit for the business card, releive, if it's a big gap, tighten the TR. If it's only the B and E strings raise the bridge a bit with the thumb screw and see what happens.

Also, the unwritten rule of the forums here is "pics or it didn't happen" so let's see that '73 beauty.....

I just picked up a '73 special and had some questions that I hope you guys could answer. I pulled the neck pickup as I was cleaning it up and saw there are no numbers or markings on the bottom of the P90. Is this normal? Did they usually not stamp them? Also, I know it needs a good setup but does anyone else have an issue with the high e and b strings fretting out when bending around frets 14-19?

Hello!

Congratulations! It must be a very nice guitar!

Check the neck straightness first, using a notched straight-edge (to read the fretboard surface, instead of frets). Adjust truss rod as needed. If it still has dead spots You have high frets. Usually, that's the spot on the fretboard that gets most of the wear (by lead guitar players), while the last two frets a bit less. It's the result of lead playing in that register of the fretboard. If there are a whole bunch of frets that are worn consider levelling all of them at once.

Detailed info here: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/118680-fret-levelling-and-dressing/

Good luck!

Cheers... Bence

Archived