Gibson Brands Forums

Strings on 2014 R9?

mohansno

What kind of strings did Gibson put on the 2014 R9? Their own brand, or something else?

Anyone?

Does it help to know that for years R9s have come with Gibson Vintage Reissue 10s? If they've changed that, there hasn't been much noise about it.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2014 R8 came with strings with the colored ends, indicating to me that D'Addario strings were being used. I know nickel-plated steel strings are stock.

No matter, stock strings came off and I put my Gibson Vintage, pure nickel 10-46's on.

Yeah, yeah I know, everyone says they suck. I happen to love them..!! To each his own.

I'm with WC58..... strings are a personal choice. What sounds best to you is what matters. You can always make adjustments on your amp if its a little too bright or boomy. Thats why they put bass and treble knobs on amps...I think. Dial in what you want.

As for the feel of the strings...that again is a personal choice. My preference and yours may be totally different. Go with what pleases YOU!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I personally LOVE the Vintage Reissues. Best sounding string I've ever used. They stay "fresh" way longer than any other string I've used. They are a little tougher to bend at first but the wear in quick or at least I get use to them.

If your Historic R9 came with colored ball ends, D'Addario's, then perhaps the store put new strings on the guitar after the factory ones went dead. Some stores will try to keep the higher end guitars (maybe even all their guitars but that could be a tall order) sounding good when they are still on display.

Archived