Gibson Brands Forums

Zero Fret Nut Adjustment

S.P.

I called Gibson today to send me a replacement titanium nut due to the brass nut worn out with grooves. I tune to drop D and my low E string buzzes since day one. Started off with a 46 gauge, then 49 and now at 52 gauge. Has anyone had any luck adjusting the Zero Fret Nut to raise the action just enough to get rid of the buzz? If you want to raise the nut I guess you would have to turn the tiny screw counter clockwise? Does the fret nut become eventually loose if raised too much? 1st timer with an adjustable fret nut and just wondering if it's easier then just adjusting the bridge.

2015 Gibson LP Traditional Honey Burst

I called Gibson today to send me a replacement titanium nut due to the brass nut worn out with grooves. I tune to drop D and my low E string buzzes since day one. Started off with a 46 gauge, then 49 and now at 52 gauge. Has anyone had any luck adjusting the Zero Fret Nut to raise the action just enough to get rid of the buzz? If you want to raise the nut I guess you would have to turn the tiny screw counter clockwise? Does the fret nut become eventually loose if raised too much? 1st timer with an adjustable fret nut and just wondering if it's easier then just adjusting the bridge.

I've switched out my zero fret nut from brass then they gave me a nickle one and now the titanium. I don't have any problems with adjustment. I've also never had it become loose or move. If the neck is correct (relief) and your bridge is good you shouldn't have an issue. To raise the the zero fret nut turn it Clockwise. counter clockwise lowers it. You may have to make a slight ajustment on your b/high-e string side as well depending on how much you raise the lower side strings. If you are still have the original zero fret nut with the wider string slots you should keep it if you want to use super big strins and tune lower than D or drop D. The new zero fret nuts have much small string slots (which got rid of the pinging sound people we complaining about when you would do hard bends on the lower frets/strings). I do believe that .52 will be the biggest string you can use with the new titanium nut. I kept my old one because for certain studio bands I would have to use .56 or .58 gage strings so I could tune the entire guitar down to A# then drop tune the low E string.

Thanks for the info Scottie V.

I just called Gibson today for the titanium nut but I will be holding on to the brass nut after replacing it. I'm going to try to adjust the height while I still have the brass nut on for now. I already purchased for my next string change D'Addario NYXL drop D tuning strings 11-56 gauge. If you're saying 56 will be too big for the titanium nut I can swap out the lower E for a 52 gauge.

1986 Kramer USA StageMaster Deluxe

In the meantime I raised the brass nut 2 full turns by the lower E. It didn't do anything to get rid of the buzz and the lower strings were too high between the 1st and 5th frets so I turned it back to original position. I raised the bridge 2 full turns on the lower strings. Got rid of the buzz 90%. Didn't see the need to raise the bridge on the high strings so now the bridge is pitched. Is this ok?

Thanks...

I also didn't mention that I loosened the truss rod about 1 turn. I wanted to wait a day and see how it plays. I want the lowest possible action but no fret buzz. Maybe tonight I'll drop down the bridge back 1 turn and loose the truss rod instead another turn. Raising the bridge too high raises the action from fret 1 to 22 too much. Rather compensate with some buzz.

• 1 month later...

I've switched out my zero fret nut from brass then they gave me a nickle one and now the titanium. I don't have any problems with adjustment. I've also never had it become loose or move. If the neck is correct (relief) and your bridge is good you shouldn't have an issue. To raise the the zero fret nut turn it Clockwise. counter clockwise lowers it. You may have to make a slight ajustment on your b/high-e string side as well depending on how much you raise the lower side strings. If you are still have the original zero fret nut with the wider string slots you should keep it if you want to use super big strins and tune lower than D or drop D. The new zero fret nuts have much small string slots (which got rid of the pinging sound people we complaining about when you would do hard bends on the lower frets/strings). I do believe that .52 will be the biggest string you can use with the new titanium nut. I kept my old one because for certain studio bands I would have to use .56 or .58 gage strings so I could tune the entire guitar down to A# then drop tune the low E string.

The pinging comes from slots being cut into the fret part of the nut due to the brass being too soft and the sawing action of the strings when being tuned. It pings when you bend because the string slips out of this groove. It also makes the guitar not bend as well. My 2015 Studio would bend like butter when the nut was new. As the Gforce cut grooves into the fret nut it started pinging when the string slipped out, and bends were much stiffer when it did not slip.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived