Gibson Brands Forums

Model and or fake info please?

jfmusic

Hello and welcome to the Gibson fora. [thumbup]

Linking hi-res pics uploaded to a photo provider would have shown her better, but to my eyes this guitar is a legit wine red Gibson Les Paul Double Cutaway made in 1997.

Any price suggestion from me would just be a guess, but you may look here:

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/23058/Used-1997-Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Double-Cut-Electric-Guitar-Wine-Red/

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input!

Hello and welcome to the Gibson fora. [thumbup]

Linking hi-res pics uploaded to a photo provider would have shown her better, but to my eyes this guitar is a legit wine red Gibson Les Paul Double Cutaway made in 1997.

Any price suggestion from me would just be a guess, but you may look here:

http://www.themusiczoo.com/product/23058/Used-1997-Gibson-Les-Paul-Studio-Double-Cut-Electric-Guitar-Wine-Red/

Hope this helps.

Yup...agree it's genuine, and agree it's a Gibson Les Paul DC, or "Double cut".

First letter of seriel# is a 9, not S. That tells us for sure it's a '97.

To me, it looks like an LP DC "Studio" model, but I am not sure if "Studio" was used in the description at the time these were made. Dot fret markers, lack of binding (body and/or neck), and silk screened Gibson logo are "Studio" features. LP "Standard" features would have trapaziod fret markers, neck binding, and MOP Gibson logo. I don't think body binding was used on the DC models.

Said that to say, things moved pretty fast for these models around 1997. So when these different features appeared, what they called the model, it could get a little confusing. So as for pricing, I would think that it would be likely worth what a "Studio" model would be worth regardless of what model was made in this particular year. In other words, if in this particular year they didn't have separate "Standard" and "Studio" models, and it isn't called a "Studio". it is likely worth closer to a "Studio" than a "Standard" if and when that appears in a Blue book or price guide.

The current bid of $551 seems a good price.

What makes these cool is that when they first came out with them, they used the 'correct' traditional DC outline (as used in the vintage Special/SG DC) but made it a carved top like an LP. They have sinse moved away from that shape on the more modern LP double cuts with carved tops.

Archived