Gibson Brands Forums

2014 Les Paul Standards - Wood differences?

Dr. Jones

I'm thinking of buying a 2014 Les Paul Standard. I know the maple cap is a different grade in the standard, Plus, and Premuim Quilt, but are the other woods in these guitars a better grade? Does the Plus and Premium Quilt have better rosewood in the fingerboards etc.?

• 3 weeks later...

I am not aware if Gibson will ever discloses the grade of any of their timber based on measurable standard like the National Hardwood Lumber Association. We trust that Gibson will use the appropriate cut from a board length of lumber graded to minimize waste and manufacturing labor.

We've seen Gibson provide some of their own method of maple top grading... for example, AA, AAA, AAAA, etc. It appears more of a marketing grade implying $$, $$$, $$$$, and more.rolleyes.gif msp_confused.gif

I am not aware if Gibson will ever discloses the grade of any of their timber based on measurable standard like the National Hardwood Lumber Association. We trust that Gibson will use the appropriate cut from a board length of lumber graded to minimize waste and manufacturing labor.

We've seen Gibson provide some of their own method of maple top grading... for example, AA, AAA, AAAA, etc. It appears more of a marketing grade implying $$, $$$, $$$$, and more.rolleyes.gif msp_confused.gif

This was a double post.. Theres already lots of answers in this thread http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/129837-2014-les-paul-standards-wood-differences/

Archived