Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson L-00 with a Tortoise Pickguard

JamieD

"Fabulous Flat Tops" appears to show a few photos of non-firestripe guards on a few L-body guitars, but they are mostly b&w photos, so it's hard to be sure. Ebony L-versions sometimes had white pickguards, as did a couple of CoP models I have seen photos of. The firestripe seems to have been most common, for sure, but this being Gibson, you would never discount the possibility that tortoise-style guards might have been used on some guitars. Not all versions even had pickguards.

• 9 months later...

I've wondered for years. I've had my oo for twenty some odd years and have wondered what's up. My baby has a tortoise guard and tuners are grovers. The pickguard is shriveled up under lacquer and the tuners are the originals no holes for three on a plate. My guess has always been she was built during the war and just putting together whatever they had. Any other theory or information would be appreciated!!

I've wondered for years. I've had my oo for twenty some odd years and have wondered what's up. My baby has a tortoise guard and tuners are grovers. The pickguard is shriveled up under lacquer and the tuners are the originals no holes for three on a plate. My guess has always been she was built during the war and just putting together whatever they had. Any other theory or information would be appreciated!!

If the guitar has a ink-stamped FON on the neck block inside the guitar, we should be able to date it for you and put it in context of what was going on at Gibson at that point in history. Pictures would be helpful in any case, particularly of the headstock, the tuners, and the body. Just pictures of the guitar, front and back, would probably be adequate.

• 3 years later...