Gibson Brands Forums

New acoustic Aj220SCE

Richie321

Hi guys .hope your all well

Ive just purchased the epiphone AJ220SCE its a beautiful guitar with a lovely tone .and with a solid top. My question is i can see that the nut and pins are plastic .but im curious as to wether the bridge saddle is plastic or some kind of bone would anyone know please ??

Thanks in advance Richie

My question is i can see that the nut and pins are plastic .but im curious as to wether the bridge saddle is plastic or some kind of bone would anyone know please ??

Specs for that guitar say the saddle is PVC. You may notice a difference if you swap that for bone. Or not.

Might be but it is the tone that is important. The saddle transfers the tone through the bridge to the sound board. The result of changing the saddle material to bone is not always advantageous, so try if you want to. There have been posts here that others have found a 'cheaper' or 'lesser' material has not resulted in any improvement. Sometimes the opposite has happened.

In general, I have not found any Epi saddle to be well made.

Bob

Hi i ordered a bone saddle

But what i found out supprised me i took out the pvc saddle but after having a good look at it and comparing it to the bone one both the bone and pvc one feel exactly the same .i even did a sound test by droping them on my work top kitchen counter and they both feel and sound exactly the same. So ive placed the original saddle back in. I have removed the stock strings and replaced with daddario 12-53 .it sounds even better now

....both the bone and pvc one feel exactly the same....

Huh. I guess materials scientists these days are pretty clever. Then there's tusq, which is basically synthetic bone. I've got a fossilized walrus ivory saddle on one of my guitars. A good sounding guitar! Apparently it's not so much the density of the material but the 'air' between the molecules of the material. Or something. rolleyes.gif

Archived