Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ES-339 Coil Splitting for ES-339

#1 User is offline   OAK 

• Group: All Access

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:29 AM

Hello everyone

I have been thinking about getting a Epiphone ES-339 and change the pickups to P90s.
There is a model with P90 pickups, I know. But I'd like to have a coil splitting with these pickups. If this makes sense as I've read that you cannot split P90s.
Seymour Duncan has a pickup that can be splitted s I see: https://www.seymourd...0-stack-bridge.
Now the options are
1. to get a ES-339 P90 and change the pickups and the electronics or
2. to get a normal ES-339 (that already has coil splitting) and change the pickups

There are other pickups that could fit like: https://www.seymourd...up/p-rails-set. Or another P90 pickup.

Don't know if my thoughts make any sense. :)
Thanks for any suggestions and thoughts.

#2 User is offline   Bad penguin 

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:11 PM

OOOoohhh Kayyyyy..... The P90 can't be split, since it's a single coil pickup. Splitting, or more commonly called "coil tapping" is done on humbuckers with 2 coils. One coil is essentially turned off, giving you a single coil sound. Since a P90 is a single coil, there's nothing to turn off.
Duncan does have a stacked P90, with two coils, that could be tapped to give you a single coil P90 tone. Same with D'Marrizo. BUT, when turning off a coil, it opens the guitar up to the reason humnbuckers were created in the first place: Hum. IF you use a lot of high gain, you will have an issue with hum.
So, instead of coil tapping, try a series/parallel switch. It will give you the brightness of the single coil P90, without the hum. Use of a push/pull switch can eliminate the need for drilling holes in the guitar. Hope this helps!

#3 User is offline   Jeffytune 

• Advanced Member

Posted 05 January 2018 - 01:21 PM

Hi there.

Well, I think I get what your wanting to go for, but as stated before, to split a pick up, it has tohave more then one pick up coil.

If your wanting more tones and P-90's. you should look at a Epiphone Blueshawk.

It is a small semi hollowbody with a dummy coil for hum calcining and the vary-tone for added tone choices.

Posted Image

My link

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users