Gibson Brands Forums

Just what is it about Gibson ?

Always_Black

I can think of all the reasons why Gibson is IT for me......how about some feedback on what it is for you? The obvious will get posted (many times).......tone, feel, appearance, tone (did I mention that one already?)......These are great and should be listed, but how about some stories about your first Gibson experience, your first Gibson that was your own, low dollar purchases with big dollar sales, super finds of an obscure model, the time that your trusty J-45 saved your life or your marriage or your sanity (happens every day).....you know, stuff like that ?

It was only in the last year that I was able to acquire a Gibson. Then I was able to pick up a few more. I refer to most of mine as 'misfit' guitars. There was just a little something wrong with each of them - a scratch here or maybe a small repaired crack - nothing major, but just enough to have them be lower in price and I think scare away some of the folks that want that 'perfect' guitar.

Part of the 'IT' for me is that at this point in my life, I felt I deserved a GIBSON. As a performer, right or wrong, I have a bit more confidence standing behind a Gibson - we all need an edge - playing a Gibson helps.

Another part of the 'IT' is that I feel strangely connected to them because of their misfit qualities. I'm not perfect, why should they be?

I never really thought about the "misfit" characteristic. For you Steve, this was perhaps obvious. I can provide this observation: In GC, every Gibson on the wall has some sort of blemish......They are apparently grabbed and played more than any other acoustic line in the store. Can't blame the patrons - that's the wall I go directly to every time. But, thinking back, every Gibson I have ever owned came with some little imperfection somewhere. Nonetheless, "the look, feel, tone, history..." pretty much voids any little imperfection hands down !

In all honesty, I would have to say that the first thing that had me looking at Gibson guitars was the last thing you should consider...the looks. I know some don't like all the bling, but I have to say that I do. After all, if someone's looking at my guitar while I'm playing, they're not looking at me. But then again, bling only goes so far. Once I played a few Gibson acoustics, I liked the sound as well. The first Gibson I bought was an SJ200.

Now there are a lot of guitar manufacturers in the world, so what exactly is it that made me want to primarily stay with Gibsons? I would have to say that it's the people that work for Gibson. Ever since the first Gibson Homecoming when we were able to tour the facility in Bozeman and meet the people who actually build our guitars, I've had a sense of family, every time I pick up a Gibson acoustic. Those people all work very hard to put out a good product and they are extremely proud of the work they do.

I'm sure the workers at other guitar manufacturers are just as dedicated. But to actually witness the work being done in Bozeman and to see how hard all of those people work, makes me want to continue coming back. And as long as they continue to put out a good product, I will keep buying Gibson acoustics. Whenever I pick up a Gibson acoustic now, I no longer see the bling that first caught my attention. I now see the faces of all of those honest and hard working people in Bozeman.

It was the look for me - absolutely!

First saw Cat Stevens playing a J200 back in the 70's and I thought then I have to have one of those - even went out and bought an Antoria copy. It was 35 years later before I achieved my dream and bought a brand spanking new SJ200 - didn't even try it out beforehand.

Play it a lot, but sometimes I just sit and look at it. Even if I could never play again I'd be happy just to look at it.

I've now got a hankering for a Hummingbird.....................help!

the legendary Gibson designs....J-45...SJ-200.. the way they looked. and Gibson acoustics really have a different tone that any other acoustic ive played.

AND THAT BEAUTIFUL DOVETAIL HEADSTALK....WITH THAT PEARL "GIBSON" LOGO. gets me every time.

I denied myself owning a quality guitar for most of my life. Never felt my playing warranted anything more than a run of the mill after thought of a guitar. I began taking more of an interest in playing in the last couple of years, found myself practicing more and enjoying playing more as a result. As a concert promoter I see a lot of bands and pay attention to the guitar players and what they play. I began seeing more and more J45s and listening closely to how they sounded. I would chat up the players and now and then one of them would let me play theirs. Finally, last November, I took the plunge and bought my own J45. I realized from the moment I played it, what a mistake I had made by going without a real quality instrument for so long. My playing improved dramatically by virtue of the guitar's craftsmanship. It was a revelation. When you combine that with the fact that, to me anyway, Gibsons are the quintessential iconic American rock 'n' roll and folk guitars of my generation, well then there's no turning back. I have been making up for lost time in the last year replacing my alvarez(s) and other guitars with nothing but Gibbys and am 1 or 2 guitars away from having exactly what I want in my little collection. It will be a bittersweet day when I gather in the last one but I will have the solace of being surrounded by what I believe to be some of the best guitars one could hope to play. Now if only I could get a Gibson t-shirt or hat.

Wow ! Those are some good responses. Thanks for sharing.......Maybe Gibson will send a hat or a shirt to jannusguy for that reply........nobody wants you deprived of "Gibson" anymore - you've suffered enough ! :)

I had mentioned my story in another forum about my '84 V. I was 14-years old when I got this guitar. It was special ordered direct and arrived with my name on a production tag looped around (I think) the A tuner. There was a note inside the case on top of the wrap paper that surrounded the guitar body. It instructed me not to play the guitar for at least 2 days until the paint finished curing. What an amazing experience this was for me. First, it was a Gibson V ! Second, it was special ordered from and delivered by Gibson just for me.....no in-between store picking one off the shelf ! Since then, it has just been all Gibson for me. That V, and subsequently my acoustics, have provided a "...look was he's playing..." sensation/comment every time they come out of the case.

That's Gibson !

......Maybe Gibson will send a hat or a shirt to jannusguy for that reply........nobody wants you deprived of "Gibson" anymore - you've suffered enough ! =P~

hope springs eternal! since nobody at opry mills will follow through with an attempted phone order, maybe henry will send one! BTW, i'm an XL and my favorite color is blue!

For me it was both appearance and tone (hey, two out of three...) I love the Hummingbird's sound, and I love how easily it plays. But to me the "just what is it about Gibson" answer is this: when Martin wanted to build a "bling" dread, they did the D-45. When Gibson designed a "bling" acoustic around the same time, they came up with the SJ-200.

Moving on from the Super Jumbo, we get the Advanced Jumbo, Southern Jumbo, and the J-185 with Maltese crosses on the bridge(!). Then, the Hummingbird: to my eyes, the most beautiful acoustic ever made. The Dove, taking the 'Bird further out. Gibson has made distinctive, beautiful acoustic guitars for a long time now, and I think their individuality goes a long way in explaining why they are loved by a bunch of different people.

...real guitars are cherry red and have little birds on the pickguard...

It was the look for me - absolutely!

First saw Cat Stevens playing a J200 back in the 70's and I thought then I have to have one of those - even went out and bought an Antoria copy. It was 35 years later before I achieved my dream and bought a brand spanking new SJ200 - didn't even try it out beforehand.

Play it a lot' date=' but sometimes I just sit and look at it. Even if I could never play again I'd be happy just to look at it.

I've now got a hankering for a Hummingbird.....................help![/quote']

This could have been me; in 1968 my best friend bought a '57 J200 and I was smitten; the best I could afford at the time was a Yamaha FG180 and I dreamed of owning an Antoria copy; a real J200 was about as accessible as (name your favourite film star object of desire!)

Likewise I finally bought a new, sight-unseen blond SJ200 last year...it only took forty years! It isn't perfect; the back seam is a bit off-centre, the saddle has virtually zero break angle but it looks, sounds and feels fantastic. There is also no run out on the top-something I've noticed on many Gibsons-indicating perfectly sawn wood. My AJ is the same.

My big sister bought a used Gibson when I was really little. I think she paid $100 for it, so I assumed that it must be the best, most expensive guitar in the world. Later on, my brother bought a J-50. I was playing an old pawn shop something or other by then, so on the rare occasion that I got to play his guitar I could REALLY tell "the difference". By the time I was 10 years old I knew that "Only A Gibson Was Good Enough". Now, I'm 50 years old. Still not a great guitarist, but when I take one my AJ's out of their case, I know for sure that I have plenty of guitar. Any shortcomings are directly attributable to pilot error.

I'm basically a Martin guy... don't shoot! I love the feel, big chimey sound, quality, history, and everything. But, the Gibson I fell in love is very different from any of my Martins, and happens to be my go-to guitar now. It is spectacular and beautifull in a way I didn't understand previously. But the sound and playability made the decision a slam-dunk. I bought an little L-1 Robert Johnson, and for old-time the blues, it can't be beat.

Anyway, I finally DO UNDERSTAND the appeal of Gibson accoustics. They are a different beast, to be loved, appreciated, and played.

JHR,

You're safe for now ! =;/

Really, I don't think anybody here will hold it against you for liking Martins.....at least you do have affection for your RJ, and recognize just what this guitar is comparably to your M's. Besides, we don't expect everyone to be perfect like the rest of us ! =D>

Archived