Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Icon CF-100 E Sunburst Acoustic-Electric

kbuckley

I had a 2007 re-issue for awhile. Thought it was one of the best looking guitars I'd ever seen and it was. Bought it without ever having played one and was pretty much disappointed in the sound right out of the box. Tried different string gauges, switched saddle and nut materials but never was able to coax the sound from it i was looking for. I was able to get close when playing amplified but unplugged it was too quiet and thin sounding for me. If I were you, I'd definitely try to play one before laying out any cash. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

My first post.

I have a 1951 CF-100e that I play everyday unplugged. It is very quiet but the sweetest, easiest, nicest guitar I've ever played. I don't know how the reissues are but I'd like to get my hands on one to compare it to mine.

Joe

Well, it did. It's been disconnected for years. I'm thinking of re-connecting it, but I never liked the sound of it electrified. Too much like an electric guitar and feed back galore.

edit: I have since had it restored electronically and love it plugged in now to my PA.

Hello JOESTONE,

Welcome to the forum. Awesome Beatle covers....amazing! The CF100E sounds great. What type of soundhole pickup do you use?

I have a '56 CF100E that I enjoy acoustically(it is quite loud) as well as amplified. Mine is fairly worn down(previous to my ownership) and would benefit from a re-fret. Does your P-90 work and the tone knob too? RRod

2454633260066230676S425x425Q85.jpg

hi joe, i'm wondering what the sound hole pick up that you're using is. i'm looking for something that i can transfer to multiple guitars as i don't want to carve them up having pups installed. my J45 and roy smeck have factory pups but my OJ and blues king don't. i bought a phrase sampler and love fooling around with it. would like to be able to try it out on all my acoustics. BTW, i didn't mean to be totally dismissive of my CF100E in an earlier post. when i bought it i hoped it would sound (to me) as good as it looked (pretty dumb!). it was fairly early on in my GAS attack and helped me to understand what guitar sound i personally found appealing to me. nonetheless, if i could've kept it as a glowing example of gibson's exemplary craftsmanship and design, i would still have it. it's all a fairly expensive learning process but one i'm enjoying to the hilt.

Thanks RRod, and Hi jannusguy

I have a Fishman soundhole pickup, which cost about 75.00 I believe.

I got this guitar from a cousin about 40 years ago. He wanted 40.00 for it.

I rarely plugged it in and when I did it fed back and sounded horrible. I was just a kid and didn't know much about keeping the integrity for future vintage value. I played it just about everyday for 40 years as an acoustic. Somewhere through the years it was shorting out after plugging it in and I just pulled the wires out and tossed them. I'm considering having it restored. I changed the tuners on it years ago with Schallers but don't remember if it was because they were breaking or just not holding a tune.

I saw Bob Dylan play one on TV on the 91 Grammies. dylan91.jpg

hi joe, upload your images to a photo hosting site like www.photobucket.com to begin. once you've done that, come back for further directions. as far as having your guitar restored, don't do it. the $ value of your instrument will only be potentially diminished. leave it be with the changes you've already made. if you enjoy playing it still, as it is, then just play it. making it prettier will not increase it's value to a collector. do you still have the original tuners? it would be good if you did. sounds like, as it stands, you have a coveted guitar there. enjoy!

Archived