Gibson Brands Forums

Proper oil for open gear tuners

ballcorner

Hello everyone - this post is simply to ask what oils people are using for open gear tuners like Waverleys. Bonus points if you know of a string winder that fits the butterbean tuners without coming dangerously close to the headstock.

Secondary bonus round: Do you remove and fully clean your open gear heads periodically? And if so, do you clean them with a specific solution before oiling etc?

Thanks everyone. I would like to have as many answers as possible - even if what you have used turned out to be a bad idea. I have used mineral oil and household 3in1, but I would like to find a more sophisticated lubricant for some special instruments.

I don't have a guitar with Waverlys, so I can't be sure of the fit, but this string winder posted below has a large notch for large tuners, and perpendicular to that is a small notch that affords a tight fit on the small knobs of my Grover open tuners.

I have no affiliation with this vendor except as a satisfied customer...

String Winder

ballcorner, I got it from a clock shop that is now out of business.

The company is below. I could not find a source quickly but if you call them they may point you to a supplier. I did see one on e-bay for $9.99. I guess you can buy anything on e-bay!!

S. LaRose Inc.

Watch and Clock Materials and Tools

3223 Yanceyville Street, Greensboro, NC 27405 USA.

Telephone:- (336) 621-1936. Fax:- (336) 621-0706

Might be a the right time of year to peruse the Sporting Goods department, near the fishing reels, in particular. Fishermen get a bit particular, sometimes, about lubing their expensive reels. Sometimes you can find reel oil in a tube, such as you describe, with a needle for dosing with a very small drop. Might be the same stuff as clock oil. You'll find it in amongst the bulk fishing line and such. If you can find a besmocked minimumwager, you might ask if they have it.

Archived