Gibson Brands Forums

1970's JGO

njpaulc

In the mid '70's a bought a used JGO at a Sam Ash in Brooklyn. I wanrted an acoustic and the price was right, although it was a little beat up. Can anyone tell me anything about this model? It is serial number 970790. Thanks in advance

Paul

All I can tell you is it is one of the cheapest Gibsons ever made. Now don't take that the wrong way. Gibson has always had "something" in the low price field. For years it was the LG-0. By the early 70s I think they were feeling the pinch of imports that were beginning to be decent. They didn't have a blessed thing to compete in the low priced dreadnaught arena. They brought back the J-40 with the pinless bridge and overall austere appearance and took it a little further with the JG-0. It's basically an LG-0 in a square shoulder 16" body. The only logical thing left in this progression would be what I call the "J-15", which would be a bindingless square shoulder 16" body with a plain rectangular bridge and Melody Maker headstock with black Gibson decal logo. I think that would be cool! It would come in a big white box with a UPC code and it would say "Guitar" on the side.

So you bought one of the world's cheapest Gibsons over 30 years ago, USED, and it's still alive. Just proves what I've believed all along.

That's what I thought when I bought it. Do you know what it's made out of? I always thought plywood with a spruce top. For what I paid ($125), it was a great alternative to the imports of the day. I couldn't find anything with a Google search, but I did see a couple for sale on ebay and was surprised that someone was asking $700 for it. Thanks for the information.

I think the JG0 is supposed to be all mahogany but I suppose it could have come with a spruce top. The only thing consistent with Gibson is inconsistency. As to value, who knows? I used to think ebay was a good test but lately cheap Gibsons like LG0s are bringing stupid money.

Thanks for the information.

The sides look to light to be mahogony, but who knows, it's not that important, I like the guitar.

I agree, Ebay has lost a lot as an indicator of value, both by what people are will to pay for junk, what people are expecting to get for junk, and the quality stuff that doesn't sell for low prices.

I really spreciate the help. especially on the dating by serial number. I have the receipt in the case, I'll look at it tomorrow. I must hve bought it in the mid '70's.

Don't play it much, although that may change. I have carpal tunnel snydrome, and it has kept me away, butI think I'll just paly through it. My kids are playing instruments in school, and are after me to teach them guitar. Being completly self taught, I'll probably learn more from them, then they from me.

• 12 years later...
On 6/20/2008 at 7:22 AM, njpaulc said:

In the mid '70's a bought a used JGO at a Sam Ash in Brooklyn. I wanted an acoustic and the price was right, although it was a little beat up. Can anyone tell me anything about this model? It is serial number 970790. Thanks in advance

Paul

On 6/20/2008 at 7:22 AM, njpaulc said:

Hey, Paul~ 

At the ripe old age of 21 I met a girl with a Gibson JGO who coveted my EKO Ranger 12 . I agreed to swap it for her GJO, and really liked it (she told me at the time that she felt a little guilty parting with a 6-string guitar and gaining a 12-string). It was a real Gibson, which carried a lot of weight for me, even though I'd never heard of this model. 

It was an obviously most spartan effort from Kalamazoo, with a 'gold' Gibson decal on the naked head-stock. Spruce top over mahogany back, sides, and neck. Single ivoroid bound top only, matte finish. Mine sounded great to my ears at the time. The top bowed behind the bridge, and the bridge started lifting, but re-glue and a couple of added bolts fixed it. I added a piezo transducer internally for performing. It went under the bed once I got out of the army and I took up mandolin to play in a working bluegrass band! The GJO went via cragislist in the UK many moons ago.

It's good to hear that they still hold up.

Cheers~ Paul

Edited by f5mando