Gibson Brands Forums

Need help with output jack

swredman

Hey guys,

The other day I picked up an Epiphone Dot VS for a good price, mainly because the nut on the output jack had fallen off (along with a washer too, I assume), and the jack fell into the body. I've fished the jack back out, but am now having a very difficult time finding a nut.

I went to Guitar Center, and they sold me a complete assembly made by AllParts. I got it home only to find the nut is not the same size as the standard Epiphone jack (it is slightly larger).

I really don't want to have to replace the entire jack, as it would require reaming the hole out to make the new jack fit.

Do any of you know where I could get a nut and washer for a standard Epiphone jack? I e-mailed Gibson / Epiphone support and they offered little help.

Thanks,

Scott

Thise Epiphone brand jacks are schite, it's better to replace it while you're going to the effort. Many of us here do that automatically on purchase of any Asian Epi.

It's likely that the reason the nut came off in the first place is because it or the jack threads are stripped, so even if you find the right size, it just may happen again.

In any case, if you really MUST repair that inferior jack, PM me, I'll look in my parts drawer and see if I don't have one I can send you. But I'd really be doing you a disservice...

Thise Epiphone brand jacks are schite' date=' it's better to replace it while you're going to the effort. Many of us here do that automatically on purchase of any Asian Epi.

It's likely that the reason the nut came off in the first place is because it or the jack threads are stripped, so even if you find the right size, it just may happen again.

In any case, if you really MUST repair that inferior jack, PM me, I'll look in my parts drawer and see if I don't have one I can send you. But I'd really be doing you a disservice...[/quote']

Thanks for the advice BrianH. I guess what I should do is look at the guitar tonight and see if I can easily fish the assembly out through the F hole. If I can get that far, the rest should be easy as I do have everything necessary to replace the jack (soldering equipment, etc).

Thanks again,

Scott

I did this on 2 Epi Semi-hollow bodies that I have. First on my Dot. I used a regular sized 1/4" jack my first attempt. I couldn't get the washer and nut on, so I only used the nut. The shaft wasn't long enough. So, I bought a long shaft Switchcraft 1/4" jack and it fit perfectly. I have never had the nut come loose since putting the new jack in, about 4 years ago.

I managed to fish the jack out through the F-Hole last night, so it looks like the fix will be complete this weekend. I would have done it last night, but discovered that the AllParts jack they sold me at CG was the stereo version. Yeah, it would work, but I'm going to take it back at lunch time and see if I can get the proper one.

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions guys,

Scott

Archived