Gibson Brands Forums

What's Your SG's Pup Resistance??

bluezguy

I'm stuffing CTS pots and oil & paper caps into my 2005 SG Standard. As you know, it is loaded with Gibson 490R and 498T pickups.

I stuck an ohm meter on the leads and was quite amazed to see the bridge pup came in at 14.25k. I knew it was wound 'hot' ... just not THAT hot for an alnico 2 . What does yours come in at???

The neck came in at a very nice 7.47k ... to me, a perfect value for the alnico 2 and I must say, I really do enjoy the tonal qualities of this pup. What about yours???

Just curious, thanks!

my 490r/498t reading are about the same. as stated the 498t is alnico V.

My bad ... 498T is A5.

One of the reasons I ask is because I bought a set of BB1 & BB2 pups.

I really like the tones of the 490R but I have to wonder about the difference between the BB1 which is A2 and measures in at 7.57k which, is almost identical to the 490R. Gibson calls the 490R a 'modern' version of a vintage pup ... anybody know why??

I'd rather not unsolder/disturb a factory install (490R) if the performance of the new pup (BB1) would be negligable. Anybody swapped these two in their SG Standard?

Anybody dropped an A2 magnet into the 498T to hear the outcome?

My bad ... 498T is A5.

One of the reasons I ask is because I bought a set of BB1 & BB2 pups.

I really like the tones of the 490R but I have to wonder about the difference between the BB1 which is A2 and measures in at 7.57k which, is almost identical to the 490R. Gibson calls the 490R a 'modern' version of a vintage pup ... anybody know why??

I'd rather not unsolder/disturb a factory install (490R) if the performance of the new pup (BB1) would be negligable. Anybody swapped these two in their SG Standard?

Anybody dropped an A2 magnet into the 498T to hear the outcome?

Don't like em....

Not in an SG, which is snappy by nature, and far too brittle at stage level.

I went for SD Jazz HB's closer output to a true PAF:

Neck: 7.72 k

Bridge: 7.9 k

Now my SG sounds more like a classic 60's era SG

• 4 months later...

On my 1978 Gibson S-G Standard Tobacco Sunburst with the S/N 72588062, the original PU's resistances without load read 5.18 kOhms for the neck pickup and 7.61 kOhms for the bridge pickup. Compared to their readings, they are very powerful, so probably that could mean they have ceramic magnets. I think they were referred to be Super Humbucking pickups that time. They came potted within black polymeric and with chrome plated covers. Replacing the 300 kOhms Volume and the 100 kOhms (!) Tone pots with 500 kOhms pots brought the pickups to life since they were loaded down severely by the stock pots' values.

I like these pickups very much since they provide lots of bottom and top end in both clean and distorted use. Does anybody know if such pickups are available still or as a reissue, and perhaps feature four conductor wiring now?

Stupid question time :P .

Where do you measure, and can it be done without removing the pups or harness?

I recently bought an SG with coil tapping with the 490R/498T combination, and I'm very happy with the sound. Marketing material says it's supposed to recreate the sound of a 61SG. Back in 61 (or was it 71 lol) I was playing an SG Special so I don't have a baseline to compare it to.

if you have a multy meter set it to read around 20k, you can use your guitar cable plug one end into the guitar and connect the meters leads to the other end, red to the tip, black to the ring. Put the vol & tone to full, then flip the 3way to either one to get readings.

Archived