Gibson Guitar Board: Two Piece laminated rosewood fingerboards.. - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Two Piece laminated rosewood fingerboards..

#1 User is offline   The Melodyman 

• Group: Members

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:41 AM

A few days ago I was shown a video interview with the President of Gibson who was asked about why Gibson has started using two piece laminated rosewood fretboards on its 2012 guitars. He said it was an improvement in strength and didnt affect the sound. Gibson lists the two piece tops on its custom guitars, one piece mahogany bodies, one piece quarter sawn necks etc, but makes no mention of which guitars have 2 piece laminated fretboards..
Could someone please list which 2012 models are now being built with these laminated boards and why? I just bought a Collectors Choice #2 Goldie.. I am concerned it had one of these boards and if so, am not happy since it cost a lot and should have been mentioned..
Thank You..

#2 User is offline   GuitarBuilder 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSan Carlos, CA

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

The only sure way to tell if your Goldie has a 2-piece laminated fingerboard is to remove the nut and inspect the exposed board end. AFAIK, essentially all models with Rosewood fingerboards made at this point have the laminated fingerboard.
2011 Gibson Les Paul Custom Hot-Mod 1955 Black Beauty Tune-O-Matic (Gibson BB1, BB2)
2011 Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom Antique Natural (Gibson 57 Classic, 57 Classic Plus)

2007 Gibson Les Paul R9 Yamano Sunset Tea Burst (Gibson BB1, BB2)
2011 Peter Knoot Custom Strat (Seymour Duncan SSL-1s)
2010 Carvin Bolt Tremolo Custom (Carvin AP11s)
2005 Brian Moore iGuitar i81.13 Emerald Green (BM iMs + RMC Piezo)
1976 Ibanez 2351AV Antique Violin (Ibanez Super 70s)
1969 Ovation Balladeer 1111-4 Natural

#3 User is offline   The Melodyman 

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:06 PM

View PostGuitarBuilder, on 30 August 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

The only sure way to tell if your Goldie has a 2-piece laminated fingerboard is to remove the nut and inspect the exposed board end. AFAIK, essentially all models with Rosewood fingerboards made at this point have the laminated fingerboard.

Well, I would rather not do that and instead was hoping that someone from the CS would chime in and explain which ones have them and which ones dont. They should have this knowledge..and I would like them to share it with their customers. After all, why keep quiet about it if its supposed to be an improvement?

#4 User is offline   Tim Plains 

• Addict

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

Are you not aware of Gibson's legal problems and the Lacey Act?
Email Gibson directly with your serial number and ask them.
Tim

#5 User is offline   kleinman 

• Advanced Member

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

AFAIK Gibson may import rosewood LEGALLY from India. Is this another "skimping" on quality. We want the "real thing" if we buy historics at the prices they demand....no flippen laminated fb's PLEASE !
Gibson Les Pauls Customshop
Gibson acoustics LG-2 1946
Gibson Super 400 CES 1970
Gibson ES-175 D 1986
Gibson ES-175 1957 Single PAF
Gibson ES-125 1957 Single P90
Gibson ES-175 1953 Single P90

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic