Gibson Brands Forums

Does Les Paul custom need to be "set up" for different tunings?

Sara

Aside from my current Les Paul custom (and my very first very cheap, no-name brand guitar!) I have only owned guitars with floating tremolos. Specifically, the Floyd Rose. As anyone who has any experience with such guitars knows, setting the guitar up for drop tunings can be a nightmare, as you can damage the neck of the guitar if you do not do this properly.

The fact that the Les Paul has a fixed bridge (Nashville tune-o-matic bridge, and stopbar tailpiece to be specific), was one of the things that made it attractive to me. However, I don't want to automatically assume that just because it doesn't have a floating tremolo, that I don't have to take any precautions when drop tuning the guitar (to drop D, for example).

Can this guitar be tuned up and down at will without compromising the tone, tension, or worse, causing damage to the neck? Also, does string guage/brand have any bearing on this? I always used D'addarios on my Jacksons, though I'm unsure if these are the best strings to be using with my Les Paul. Guage was usually 9, though sometimes I'd use 10's if I was going to be using a lower tuning than drop D.

Also, can the Les Paul be tuned from the bridge, or only from the tuning pegs? There doesn't appear to be any way of tuning it from the bridge, but with it being called "Tune-o-matic", I'm guessing that there is some way of tuning it from there! lol

Thanks in advance for any advice recieved!

You can switch tunings as much as you like. I use Drop D, Drop C, Open D, and Standard quite a bit. Never had any issues.

One of the benefits of a bridge and stoptail.

Lower tunings may generate more fret buzz, which can be addressed by using heavier stings. I use .52-.11 and have had 0 issues.

Absolutely no damage should occur to the neck when using different tunings or different string gauges.

As for the "tune-o-matic", it's not so-called for 'tuning', but rather it is so you can adjust intonation. You don't tune from it.

One thing to note about the LP as opposed to Strat types, is the scale lenght. The strings of a Strat-type are about a half inch longer than a Gibson. So, when it comes to string gauges, 10's on an LP are about the same in ease or tension as 9's would be on a Strat type. Something to think about when tuning down, as 9's on an LP (or, even 10's) could get loose and floppy.

Damage the neck?

On guitars with Floyd Rose (and probably other floating bridges too) bridges, changing the tuning and the gauge of your strings usually means also having to adjust the truss rod, to deal with the difference in string tension. This can damage the guitar's neck if not done properly.

Thanks everyone for your input. :)

The only time you would need to adjust the neck, and re-setup the guitar is if you change string gauge.

Or time. It's always a good idea check everything when you have your strings changed.

The problem I have there, is I have no idea what gauge the strings currently on my guitar are... I'm still using the same strings that were on the guitar when I bought it.

They feel like 10's, but I can't be certain that's what they are. Is there a "stock" gauge of strings that Gibson put on all their guitars before they leave the factory, or can they be different gauges?

You probably not going to need any adjustments, but depending on the string gauge and

tuning, you may need to update the intonation, as for the lower tunings you might have

to set up the relief of the neck if you get too much buzzing.

Most all production Gibsons are strung with .10-.46 stock. LP Customs use the same size.

So basically, as long as I stick with 10's, I shouldn't need to adjust the neck at all?

You probably not going to need any adjustments, but depending on the string gauge and

tuning, you may need to update the intonation, as for the lower tunings you might have

to set up the relief of the neck if you get too much buzzing.

Can the intonation be updated from the bridge? So too much buzzing would require adjusting the truss rod to relieve the neck?

So basically, as long as I stick with 10's, I shouldn't need to adjust the neck at all?

Can the intonation be updated from the bridge? So too much buzzing would require adjusting the truss rod to relieve the neck?

That's pretty much it.

If the guitar is going to "live" in standard tuning and just be re-tuned for accasional different tunings, it's best to keep it adjusted for normal tuning. The drop-tuning ar alternative tunings shouldn't really cause it to be out so much you would notice.

If you do choose to do these adjustments, it's a REAL good idea to loosen the strings before you adjust the bridge saddles, as you can damage it if you adjust it under tension.

Also, when adjusting the truss rod, Gibby's usually only need a SLIGHT turn to get effect. As in, maybe 1/8 at a time.

If it starts buzzing on the frets when you de-tune, that doesn't always mean it needs a neck adjustment. It could just be a case of floppy strings. It might be better adjusting the string hieght at the bridge, or going with a slightly heavier gauge string.

Archived