Gibson Brands Forums

government series #1 les paul

swanny51

Decided to go with the Government Series II Explorer, too:

ExpGov_1_zpsbfaa2e92.jpg

However, collectability has been second order for me. Since a long time I would have wanted a "regular" Explorer featuring 496R and 500T pickups, but they don't seem to make some for a long period. I decided to let go the GS I model and was hoping for the "normal" Explorers to come along. Since they didn't, I went with a GS II and am very pleased with her. [wub]

The situation around Les Paul models is a similar one. They don't make the 70's Tribute model anymore, so the GS II is the one left with Dirty Fingers pickups. Those of the GS series are called Dirty Fingers + (Plus) but to be honest, I don't know why. The two of mine are even somewhat different - the bridge pickup is significantly hotter than the neck pickup. They are exceptionally great either, delivering fine clean tones as well as distinctive high gain sounds, and everything in between. [thumbup]

My view is that of a player, so it is about tone and playability for me, but the Government Series guitars might turn out to be collector's items in the future. I think that some of my rare Gibsons will, but this will be a matter of my inheritors, and in my opinion the possible increase of value is very hard to predict.

I would not buy a series 1 since they are asking for top dollar on ebay

I would get a series 2 (have NO clue on how many are being made}

But seen a Flying V series 2 last week at American Music Supply for $999

last week.

I would wait till what you want would show up on one of the major music sites

Otherwise I would look for another Gibson........JT

I would not buy a series 1 since they are asking for top dollar on ebay

I would get a series 2 (have NO clue on how many are being made}

But seen a Flying V series 2 last week at American Music Supply for $999

last week.

I would wait till what you want would show up on one of the major music sites

Otherwise I would look for another Gibson........JT

The Government Series II Explorers and Flying Vs are long sold out here. The GS II Les Paul and SG are pretty scarce, and I think they will be gone soon, too.

Archived