Gibson Brands Forums

Genesis Bass for sale on eBay

brianh

it's not mine and I have no affiliation with the seller, but there's a Geni bass w/ case on eBay in Kalamazoo, MI if anyone's interested.

Looks to be all original, but neck has been refinished:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...ME:B:SS:US:1123

_genibass1.jpg

_genibass2.jpg

_genibass3.jpg

_genibass4.jpg

Why are you so sure re the neck refinish Brian [confused]

EDIT: Message from the seller...

Dear eggmuffins,

No US only

Why are you so sure the neck is refinished, Brian [confused]

Because the one I got last month - the neck is finished black, same as the body.

P1030568.jpg

Also because the on that eBay unit, the headstock has that "sides-been-sanded" look.

_genibass3.jpg

Brian, I was curious about this too. It looks like 3-piece maple...and Epiphone doesnt normally paint their maple necks.

Well mine is black, and curiously, the logo is very different.[confused]

Mine:

P1030565.jpg

Theirs:

_genibass3.jpg

Also, did you notice all the parts necks and misc crap in the background of the above photo? That seller is into "parting out" aka disassembling Craigslist buys and selling on eBay for a profit....

I thought that neck had a killer look... & she ended up selling for US$355.

That's not suprising, I was very happy to find mine for $300, even drove 90 minutes each way to go get it on a freezing cold Sunday morning.

P1030567.jpg

I played it all day last week with my jamming buddies and it sounds real good, is comfortable - not heavy - and very easy to play.

I am not happy with the stock bridge though - not enough accuracy available for a "perfect" setup.

I have that Hipshot SuperTone that HungryCat recommended coming Monday. Thanks H-Cat, you're OK in my book.

A: Also, did you notice all the parts necks and misc crap in the background of the above photo? That seller is into "parting out" aka disassembling Craigslist buys and selling on eBay for a profit....

B: I have that Hipshot SuperTone that HungryCat recommended coming Monday. Thanks H-Cat, you're OK in my book.

A: 'headstock has that sides-been-sanded look' + 'parting out'... Nice work Sherlock!

B: +1 on that Brian... & I still wanna hear HC's promised (threatened [biggrin] ) rant re short scale basses.

C: KINDA OFF-TOPIC... Dominic Miller (Sting's Guitarist) played an awesome Tuxedo LP when we saw them perform with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra a couple of weeks ago. Five rows from the front you could readily see that the neck had been refinished back to natural timber for a look just like this advertised Genesis Bass. Again, I think that's a killer look &, as an aside, Dominic Miller is one pretty slick guitarist!

[thumbup] Yes, good detective work indeed. As for the logos, I cant say it really surprises me. The first year Epiphone strats had four different logo styles that I've found so far.

Anyway, thanks for pointing out the neck finish differences. Had you not brought it up, I probably never would have noticed the maple neck and just assumed they were mahogany.

Didn't want to start a whole new thread on Geni basses, but this one has got me baffled:

GeniBasswCase-VeryUnusual.jpg

It appears to be heavily modified, including aqua paint job, Jazz / P-bass pickups and rewiring, and a custom pickguard to cover up the routing.

Sort of a pity, but who knows, it could be a decent player... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160556364021&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Didn't want to start a whole new thread on Geni basses, but this one has got me baffled:

It appears to be heavily modified, including aqua paint job, Jazz / P-bass pickups and rewiring, and a custom pickguard to cover up the routing.

Sort of a pity, but who knows, it could be a decent player... http://cgi.ebay.com/...ME:B:SS:US:1123

New bridge too. Kind of shame that someone modified it to the point of routing the body....especially for a set of P/Js, when there are so many options for replacement humbuckers.

And a 'Buy it Now' price of $600? He'd be lucky to get the $250 opening bid for it after those mods. That color reminds me of those Plymouth Sundances from the early 90's. GAK!!

• 2 weeks later...

Because the one I got last month - the neck is finished black, same as the body.

Also because the on that eBay unit, the headstock has that "sides-been-sanded" look.

Well mine is black, and curiously, the logo is very different.[confused]

Hey Brian, this Genesis Bass is listed on Ebay again. Here's what the seller has to say about it. Very curious...

Ello Keepers of the low end.Up for your concideration is this super cool and very RARE Epiphone Genesis bass.This i do beleive was a special order or employee bass!Unlike the earlier Epiphone Japan made genesis in 79.This one was hand made at the Kalamazoo factory a full three years after the original production Genesis from 79-80.This bass is from 1983 the same year Gibson left K-zoo.Its has a Gibson silkscreened Epi logo instead of the inlayed Japan Epi logo,and impressed serial stamp instead of ink stamped like the oversea's model,Maple neck instead of painted like the originals.This bass sounds like thunder!Very grand piano like in tone.Nice low action on the original three point Gibson bridge wich intonates perfectly.The neck is perfect!! dead straight with no fretware or issues.She's been played so she has a few lite dents and scatches but overall conditon is good.She's been played for a reason.It smokes!Come with correct period redlined Gibson case.Beat but functional.This is a super rare one off bass and is a killer player as well.CONUS U.S.A. SALES ONLY!!!Free shipping.any questions feel free ta shoot me a line.Thanks all and Happy Bidding!!

Hey Brian, this Genesis Bass is listed on Ebay again. Here's what the seller has to say about it. Very curious...

Hi RTH, I saw the lising too. I think it's total BS - it's just a Geni bass with a neck refin as far as I can see. The edge of the headstock gives it away - the headstock paint would cover the edges if it was made with a natural neck.

Mine has the serial number imprinted on the back of the headstock too, so no idea what he's talking about with the silkscreened numbers. Epi didn't start doing that on any guitars until the 90's AFAIK.

Maybe it's a prototype or rep sample, but that's about it. As far as it being made in Kalamazoo, there is no credible evidence of this, and unless he can produce paperwork it's just hearsay at best and dishonest seller hype at worst.

Archived