Gibson Brands Forums

1933 Gibson L5 with great ownership story

TM

I did this write up for the UMGF. Thought I would post it here as I know there are some archtop fans here.

This is the ebay L5 that was written up in a post a few weeks back. As a confirmed archtopian I saw the sale. I was intrigued because the price was within reach of a mere mortal. Only problem, I didn’t have the money. I sold a couple of guitars then went in search of more information. I contacted Brian of Rifle Creek Guitar Works who was the agent for the owner. We exchanged emails about the FON and the serial number. While waiting on that information I found a facebook page of Rifle Creek Guitar. He had more pics of the L5 and hinted at a back story. Brian and I got the FON question answered, it is FON 642. He then told me about the backstory and sent me a link with more information on the previous owner.

The guitar had belonged to musician and Gibson employee Andy Nelson. Andy acquired the guitar in the 50s. The neck was bad and while employed at Gibson he had the neck replaced. The work looks like c1958 because of the newly released Grover tuners, which were the high quality tuners of that era. No other tuners have been on the guitar.

The guitar came to the new owner with the pick up and guard installed. They did not work so they were taken off and put in storage. When he contacted Brian about selling the guitar he told him that Andy Nelson had owned the guitar. Brian did a little research and found the online book written by Andy’s relative after his death. Andy is pictured in the book with the L5 pick up and all. Brian found the pickguard and pick up and took it upon himself to repair it. Brian does custom pick up winds. Evidently the DeArmonds from that era are not an easy job. Brian contacted a retired fellow who gave him some tips on the doing the rewind. Brian did the pick up re wind, repaired the pots and replaced them on the guitar.

As a Gibsonite I was amazed at the story published online. It is more than a Gibson story, but a story about a professional musician who worked at Gibson and Fender during the 50s and 60s. I was familiar with a couple of the stories in the online book. Some had been previously published years ago.

The book is around 36 pages and a great read. It is full of pictures, stories, anecdotes from this man’s playing career and his work at Gibson and Fender. Anyone interested in instruments, history, music will enjoy.

The online book is here. Take your time.

The L5 is in great condition, plays wonderfully and sounds excellent. It has a well done over spray. The neck is 1.72 and feels great. Although I have not examined them I was told it has the kerfed tone bars.

I have a 1932 L10, 1933 L12, 1941 L4 to compare. The L10 has sold braces. The L10 is not going anywhere.

Terry

IMG_0018r.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0006r.jpg

IMG_0010r.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

great guitar and what a story!!!

I read most of that book on andy nelson...

you already contyacted his nephew, would be nice to get hold of a nice copy of one of those pictures.... or something else of Andy....

it would make the guitar complete

Archived