Gibson Brands Forums

Question on overall effectiveness

glennc

Glad to hear about your choice . A Les Paul standard is definately way much better than a Junior. You made the right decision, so go and enjoy your new guitar !

Hey Old Rocker 59,

Now it is just a matter of it I am going to like it more than a G-400. One reason I like the Jr is it's light weight. We will see what we shall see!

Thanks for your support!

Glenn

Hey swamprock,

I like you found the guitar a pleasure to play and loved it with the Mean 90s. Not knowing the proper values exactly, I put CTS 500K Volume and a 250K Tone with a Orange Drop .22uf Sprague cap. I just don't want to spend like $60 for a nut, more for good tuners and the bridge is around $70. I've also read that they need the stud bushings possible removed and lowered to get the new bridge low enough for a good action.

If I keep this LP Royale, I am going to put the Mean 90 in it and another in the neck. What pots volume and tone along with type and size cap value would you suggest?

Glenn

I would go with 500k CTS audio taper pots with .47uF caps, if you're going with two Mean-90s. That's what I used on my LP100 mod, except I used a .22 uF cap for the bridge humbucker (had a Mean-90 in the neck). I also wired it up '50s style. These mods turned a beat-up old cheapo into a tone machine.

As for the Junior, you can grab a Graphtech Tusq nut from eBay for under $10. A little sanding, using the stock nut as a template, and they fit perfectly. This is a highly recommended and low-cost upgrade that will help with tuning and sustain. The tuners I put on my Junior were $30 Sperzel-style screw-down locking tuners. GFS and TNT Guitars carry those for the same price. They aren't Grovers, but they're much better than the die-cast cheapos and keep tune nicely, as well as make string changes quick and painless. I checked out a thread by a long-time member here (Whitmore Willy, I believe), who experimented with different wraparound bridges, and went back to the stock bridge, as the work involved with aftermarket bridges negate any advantages you may gain. I also feel that a Junior isn't a Junior without its imperfect intonation. It's a big part of its sound and its charm. Again, this is just my opinion :)

Some pics of the nut and tuner mods on my Junior:

epijrmod.jpg

epijrmod2.jpg

I would go with 500k CTS audio taper pots with .47uF caps, if you're going with two Mean-90s. That's what I used on my LP100 mod, except I used a .22 uF cap for the bridge humbucker (had a Mean-90 in the neck). I also wired it up '50s style. These mods turned a beat-up old cheapo into a tone machine.

As for the Junior, you can grab a Graphtech Tusq nut from eBay for under $10. A little sanding, using the stock nut as a template, and they fit perfectly. This is a highly recommended and low-cost upgrade that will help with tuning and sustain. The tuners I put on my Junior were $30 Sperzel-style screw-down locking tuners. GFS and TNT Guitars carry those for the same price. They aren't Grovers, but they're much better than the die-cast cheapos and keep tune nicely, as well as make string changes quick and painless. I checked out a thread by a long-time member here (Whitmore Willy, I believe), who experimented with different wraparound bridges, and went back to the stock bridge, as the work involved with aftermarket bridges negate any advantages you may gain. I also feel that a Junior isn't a Junior without its imperfect intonation. It's a big part of its sound and its charm. Again, this is just my opinion :)

Some pics of the nut and tuner mods on my Junior:

epijrmod.jpg

epijrmod2.jpg

Hello swamprock,

Thanks for the reply!! So a 500K Audio taper for the tone and .47uf caps for the Mean 90. I had considered putting a humbucker in it, but I think I'll go straight 90's. Want to hear what the Dream 90's sound like to see if it might be good for the neck. I will look into the upgrades as those prices don't sound so bad if I do it myself. Did you have to do drilling for the tuner shafts for bushings? Thanks again!

Glenn

Hello swamprock,

Thanks for the reply!! So a 500K Audio taper for the tone and .47uf caps for the Mean 90. I had considered putting a humbucker in it, but I think I'll go straight 90's. Want to hear what the Dream 90's sound like to see if it might be good for the neck. I will look into the upgrades as those prices don't sound so bad if I do it myself. Did you have to do drilling for the tuner shafts for bushings? Thanks again!

Glenn

Yes, I had to ream out the holes a bit for the new tuners (and just did it again today to my Special I... see that thread in this forum). I used a hand-held $5 reamer from Harbor Freight to do the job, and it's really pretty easy. I've done it a number of times now and it's hardly labor-intensive. I described the method of plugging the old holes somewhat in my Special I mod thread.

The Dream-90 is a thinner-sounding single-coil than the Mean-90 is. I'd say it's almost Strat-like in its tone. I had one in my Ebony Junior (now at GC, having been traded in) and it was definitely a lot brighter-sounding than my VS Junior. The Mean-90, I will say, sounds fantastic as a neck pickup.

Yes, I had to ream out the holes a bit for the new tuners (and just did it again today to my Special I... see that thread in this forum). I used a hand-held $5 reamer from Harbor Freight to do the job, and it's really pretty easy. I've done it a number of times now and it's hardly labor-intensive. I described the method of plugging the old holes somewhat in my Special I mod thread.

The Dream-90 is a thinner-sounding single-coil than the Mean-90 is. I'd say it's almost Strat-like in its tone. I had one in my Ebony Junior (now at GC, having been traded in) and it was definitely a lot brighter-sounding than my VS Junior. The Mean-90, I will say, sounds fantastic as a neck pickup.

Well, that creates a quandary. I can return the LP Standard Royale and spend much less and fix up the junior. I am confused. Will have to make a reasonable decision. Much appreciated Sir!

Glenn

Archived