Gibson Brands Forums

Identifying specs on Epiphone Special II Limited

Rainbow Trout

Hey guys, I'm trying to sell my Epiphone Special II. However, it was a Christmas present and I'm not exactly sure how "limited edition" it is. So any help would be amazing.

I need to identify the pickups and their material (I imagine it's just painted metal but it's gold colored so I don't know.)

The neck wood

etc

I'm trying to figure out what is worth what on this guitar, just how limited this model is, and how much it's worth so that I don't have to go to stores and worry about getting low-balled.

Thanks.

P.S. The reason I am asking what kind of pickups these are is because I can't remove strings myself and I'm worried about destroying the guitar. So any help is appreciated. They are not the kinds of pickups you see on the official product ad on websites. So that's why.

http://s1155.photobucket.com/user/Jace123456/library/Epiphone?sort=3&page=1# - This is a gallery of pictures I took of the guitar, including closeups of the pickups, the neck, the body, the head, and the back.

Nice looking guitar. And the gold looks nice and is not something you often see. [thumbup]

However Epi has made a lot of "limited editions" over the years. Look over to the left at my avatar. That LP you see is also a LE.

And so the limited edition moniker does not really mean that much. Add to this the fact that the Special II is at the lower end of the price/quality spectrum, and that you can purchase a LE Special II right now at guitar center/musician's friend for $149 (minus the gold), I would say it's value is about $70-$90. And that is assuming that it is in good condition, and it plays/sounds good.

I agree, 'limited edition' doesnt mean a lot. On the Special it probably means a mahogany body instead of laminate & slightly different/better pickups. That'll make the guitar worth a few more dollars to some people, but most will still see it as an entry level guitar. That doesnt mean it's a bad guitar - I have one myself, just that it wont be worth a lot of money. on eBay I would expect a guitar like this to bring around $75-$90.

If you're planning on selling it, you'd be much better doing it on your own than bringing it to Guitar Center. Here's why, they will only go by E-Bay value and will give you 60% of the lowest price that it is currently selling for whether it be used or new, preffering to go with the used route . If your guitar has been well cared for and is in NM Condition, then I would place a posting in your local Craig's List along with a photo of it and see if you could get at least $100.00 or so for it. Even though it was a limited edition model , it probably went for the same price as a regular Special II which would've been around $169.00 or so. Good luck.

Archived