Gibson Brands Forums

NGD SGPro

CheapShoes

I bought a new SG Pro last evening. Looking around I didn't see these mentioned here - no love? My first SG ever. No significant balance problems with the lighter tuners. AC Pro pickups. They had a 66 reissue for about the same price, played well but sounded muffled compared to this one. Looking at Epi website I've seen the Alnico Cassic Pro buckers listed three different specs, so clearly some issues there, and the sticker over the pup says silver nickle base, it can't just be a tapped old Alnico Classic. Anyhow, anyone else playing one? I haven't even had time to clean it up and restring yet. The pickguard goes al the way across whereas the Epi site only shows half a guard, so even this model is in transition. Can't wait to rock on...as it were.

Epi set-neck SG's are great, a lot of guitar for the money. A lot of players would be much better off with one of these than a MIM Strat.

Epi has the '62 SG Std (small angel wing pickguard) and the '66 SG Std (large batwing pickguard). The '62 has been in production since the 1990's. The '66 was added to the line several years ago. One was not intended to replace the other. Over the last 10 years, Epi's also had a number of limited edition SG's, like the Deluxe with flame maple tops, the '61 Special with P-90's, and the alpine white Custom with maestro vibrato.

Epi's current humbuckers are:

- Probucker, A2 magnet, similar to Gibson Burstbuckers (4 wire)

- Alnico Classic Pro, A2 magnet (4 wire)

- Alnico Classic Pro Plus, A2 magnet, overwound bridge (4 wire)

- Alnico Classic, A5 magnet (single lead wire), basically the Epi '57 Classic with a new name.

It can be confusing initially, but there's no 'issues' or 'transitions' with this.

Thanks bluemans335. Regarding the Alnico Classic Pro pickups, The Epiphone website refers to them as Alnico V for the SG Pro and Alnico II for the Les Paul Pro. Possible?

Yes, possible, but could be a typo too. With either magnet they're very good PU's, as good as Probuckers. Epi's really been stepping up their game with PU's the last few years.

My G-400 is one of the faded Vintage series models which has the Alnico classic humbuckers in it. Contrary to what the tone snobs say, I think they sound great. I have mine along with my Goth Les Paul Studio setup according to Gibson's specs and I don't have any signs of muddiness at all.

I hear you Old Rocker 59.

I've had three guitars with the Epi classics , and played a fourth a couple days ago. They sounded very different in each guitar. The only one I felt they were truly bad in was a mid2000s Les Paul. LPs seem to be the primary guitar in which people complain about these pickups - one should not reach beyond solidbody LPs to all possible guitars.

The chambered LP with alnico classics I played the other day was bright and I felt the need to turn the tone down a lot. My Korina V and ES355 also have the alnico classic pups and although I would like them to be a "little" brighter, they are nearly identical in sound to the vintage Gibson guitar sound of Vs and 355s listening to professional recordings. Identical to Lonnie Mack and Albert King in tone. Maybe if I put a small cap on the tone pot might make the knob more useful. Otherwise twiddle with the amp to taste.

Archived