Gibson Brands Forums

Which Medium strings for Rhythm on SG ?

caper26

hey all. Recently got into a band as rhythm guitar. I will be using my SG for playing rock and traditional metal (ACDC, Faith No More, Judas Priest, Metallica)

Just wondering what a few good choices would be for medium strings as I assume that these will bring a little more sound from the guitar.

I do minimal bending, etc.

Thanks for your ideas in advance..

-cape

'05 SG Standard - Ebony

String gauge is a very interesting study...

Each guitarist has their own take on which is best...

There are the extremes from great tone-meisters like Billy Gibbons (7's :blink:) to SRV's 13's :blink:.....

IMO and from personal experience, an SG can sound great with 9's, 10's or 11's...

V

:-({|=

Ernie Ball Cobalts. These strings have more articulation and touch response than just about anything out there.

They're going to feel different, but you'll get used to that.

.010 gauge would be the place to start, if they're too light for your touch, move up to .011 gauge.

Ernie Ball Cobalts. These strings have more articulation and touch response than just about anything out there.

They're going to feel different, but you'll get used to that.

.010 gauge would be the place to start, if they're too light for your touch, move up to .011 gauge.

Decided on this brand and ordered 2 sets of 11's. Worth a shot. Thanks. Looking to try something new!

Some new songs our band is practicing are Epic, Guitar Gangsters and Cadillac Blood, and Firewoman.

Cheers

Decided on this brand and ordered 2 sets of 11's. Worth a shot. Thanks. Looking to try something new!

Some new songs our band is practicing are Epic, Guitar Gangsters and Cadillac Blood, and Firewoman.

Cheers

Good choice. I wouldn't use a light gauge for rhythm either. [thumbup]

Archived