Gibson Brands Forums

Men of Mahogany

robekert

This is only for the "men of mahogany".....Recently got a great deal on an all mahogany Morgan guitar. Morgan is a small Luthier shop in Vancouver BC, makes about 120-160 guitars a year.....was once an apprentice to Jean Larrivee of Larrivee guitars.....I actually got a chance to play this right next to a Larrivee OMM-05 all mahagony Larrivee, and this one beat it hands down in build quality and sound, I guess the student has surpassed the teacher on this one.....this has the sweetest, smoothest, bluesy-est sound of any small body guitar I have ever played.....I can't believe my good fortune. I wish Gibson would make the all hog guitars again.....

IMGP0065.jpg

IMGP0061.jpg

Rosewood sounds too muddy (or perhaps too chimey is the word) to me.

Somehow I think the complex overtones of rosewood sound modern. I'm not sure if there is any basis for this association. But I like the older, drier sound my ear associates with mahogany or maybe maple. I'd consider getting a good maple guitar someday. But for now I'm doing fine with a mahogany.

Thanks Jinder....it is sweet. Just for the record, fit and finish on these is flawless....Got a letter from the head luthier thanking me for my business....customer service responded to my emails NEXT DAY!!!!! This is the sound only an all Hog guitar can bring. This guitar company is one of the sleepers. Not many shops have them (because they make so few) If you find them used, get them. They are a relative bargain for the quality. I'm in Hog heaven.....

Archived