Gibson Brands Forums

Great Upgrade For your Epi Les Pauls, etc,

Old Rocker 59

Guys, here's a great upgrade for those cheaply made Epiphone Les Paul and G-400 bridges . It's a Graph-Tech NV-2 6MM Bridge. I just got mine in today which I ordered on E-Bay a few days ago for only $65.00 . Musicians Friend and Guitar center is asking 10 bucks more for them . True they are a tad costly but definately worth it. The bridge saddles are Graphic and the posts are magnetic which allow for your guitar to not only stay in tune much better, but also add more sustain and tone as well. I just got done installing mine on my Gothic Les Paul Studio and the difference is quite noticeable folks. These will fit on any Epi Les Paul and I'm sure, any SG model as well .

I agree. I just redid a 1966 2001 MIK Epi Les Paul Standard and installed the GraphTech Resomax NV1 bridge, the NVT tailpiece and a Tusq nut. Huge difference in tone! My plans are to do the same to my Epi Les Paul Deluxes as well.

Goldoverall_zps90e9b83c.jpg

Full story on my upgrade is here:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/100762-epiphone-1966-les-paul-gold-top-long-post-photos/

These bridges and tail pieces are made of an aluminum alloy. The '59 Les Paul used aluminum alloy tail piece and bridges as well.

http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?SubCategoryID=95

I wonder if magnets in the bridge might interact with the bridge pickup.

If they are strong enough to have an effect at all, they would reduce magnetic flux in one humbucker coil and increase it in the other. Mismatched coils are considered to add some vintage PAF "character" to a pickup so, if the coils were equal to begin with, that could conceivably improve the sound. However, perhaps it's more likely to expect that altering magnetic flux in the coil would have an adverse effect on pickup characteristics which were carefully designed by the maker.

JeffsPhotos002-4.jpg

Here's a pic of my Goth LP with the new bridge on it. I did remove the pickguard because for some reason, I just never took a liking to it and I think it just looks better without it. I had some Gold top hat bell knobs come in from China yesterday but, they were cheaply made and would start to break as soon as I would try to put them on, so I'm sticking with the originals.

Archived