Gibson Brands Forums

EA 250 - Anybody have one?

BobF_

This is everything I know about them :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphone_5102T_/_EA-250

Just curious as I had never heard of them before. The DOTs are cool, but I went for a 339 instead as the body size is more comfy to me.

That's it. Cheap guitars. It was from back in the days of Asian imports of questionable quality. I wouldn't waste your money on one. There's plenty of good deals on used Dots.

Weak neck pockets, very flexible necks and cheap tuners made them a nightmare to keep in tune, and the tremolo system did nothing to help that. The black pickups were uninspiring and fitting a replacement requires wood work skills as the cutouts are a completely different size and shape. Yes I owned one. I don't like to say it was the worst guitar I ever owned, but it was. I almost fell on a guys neck weeping when he offered a straight swap for a 70's Antoria fixed neck 175 copy (which I still have). EA250's were cheap import guitars trading on a famous name, model and Beatles connection and time hasn't done anything to alter that. They have a fan base, but so do communist era East German Trabants. Keep hold of your cash and save for something else. Don't be swayed by the Matsomoku connection, it was far from their finest hour.

Weak neck pockets, very flexible necks and cheap tuners made them a nightmare to keep in tune, and the tremolo system did nothing to help that. The black pickups were uninspiring and fitting a replacement requires wood work skills as the cutouts are a completely different size and shape. Yes I owned one. I don't like to say it was the worst guitar I ever owned, but it was. I almost fell on a guys neck weeping when he offered a straight swap for a 70's Antoria fixed neck 175 copy (which I still have). EA250's were cheap import guitars trading on a famous name, model and Beatles connection and time hasn't done anything to alter that. They have a fan base, but so do communist era East German Trabants. Keep hold of your cash and save for something else. Don't be swayed by the Matsomoku connection, it was far from their finest hour.

Well said.

Archived