Gibson Brands Forums

Scales And Modes

@@theguitarlearn

i know some scales and modes, here i share you my own chart about them.. i posted everything i know about this on my blog, you can visit and comment if you like

at the guitar learner blog: take walk around on scales and modes

post-56625-048327500 1367494647_thumb.jpg

need critics anyway about my method of learning and playing. would anyone share some stuff with me?

thanks

nice work so far.

just a few thoughts...

this may be sort of abstract based on your article, but I have found the easiest way to convey this is to think about modes, like this:

If C Aeolian (For example) ask yourself, what key is C the 6th of? That helped me anyway. That puts you in the key signature of where the mode is focused, then it's just remembering the major/minor relevance, and of course, what notes wont work (with out stumbling on them! [scared] )

Another concept in the modes is to be mindful of is how to resolve when improvising. Make sure the phrasing you are playing ends on a "good note" (sorry for the pun!)

It takes a lot of patience and the concepts are not that easy to grasp.

IMO, the easier modes are Dorian, and probably Mixolydian. Aeolian and Locrian are probably the harder ones to master. Maybe urge people to start with Dorian to get the right head-space around staying in the mode?

Thanks for posting, and taking the time to put this together. It's a lot of work.

Archived