Gibson Brands Forums

ES-175 from 1953 customized

quebone

Hi

I bought some years ago an ES-175 at a shop in Barcelona. They told me it was a 1968 with some customization. Last week, looking for the serial number, I found the FON, which was Y509010. It has no serial. According the Gibson guide, I think it could be a 1953. What do you think about it?

Thanks

post-56653-022092200 1367831751_thumb.jpg

post-56653-032782200 1367831760_thumb.jpg

post-56653-064509800 1367831802_thumb.jpg

Why would you wait for years after buying it to look for a serial number? At first glance, it almost looks like it could be a fake. Unfortunately, your story that you waited years to look for a serial number only adds to the suspicion.

Do you have a photo of the FON? You're correct that a FON with a "Y" prefix would indicate 1953. However, even if your guitar originated in 1953, that would make little difference now in terms of its age and value, due to the refinish and modifications. If it really is a modified 1953 example, then somebody ruined any collector's value it might have retained by not restoring it accurately.

Hopefully you're enjoying it as a musical instrument.

Why would you wait for years after buying it to look for a serial number? At first glance, it almost looks like it could be a fake. Unfortunately, your story that you waited years to look for a serial number only adds to the suspicion.

Do you have a photo of the FON? You're correct that a FON with a "Y" prefix would indicate 1953. However, even if your guitar originated in 1953, that would make little difference now in terms of its age and value, due to the refinish and modifications. If it really is a modified 1953 example, then somebody ruined any collector's value it might have retained by not restoring it accurately.

Hopefully you're enjoying it as a musical instrument.

I just uploaded the picture with the FON. I have many others of the guitar but no more space to upload them.

Until now I just looked at the guitar as a musical instrument. I liked the sound, the shape and felt comfortable with it. Some time ago I had an accident and nowadays I can't play guitar anymore. So I see this guitar more like a collector piece, and I'd like to know more things about it. Perhaps I will try to sell it or not, I'm not sure. Last week I was looking for the serial number, which in fact doesn't exist, and found the FON inside the body and guess what year it was made and it's value.

Thanks

post-56653-079173400 1367864535_thumb.jpg

I just uploaded the picture with the FON. I have many others of the guitar but no more space to upload them.

Until now I just looked at the guitar as a musical instrument. I liked the sound, the shape and felt comfortable with it. Some time ago I had an accident and nowadays I can't play guitar anymore. So I see this guitar more like a collector piece, and I'd like to know more things about it. Perhaps I will try to sell it or not, I'm not sure. Last week I was looking for the serial number, which in fact doesn't exist, and found the FON inside the body and guess what year it was made and it's value.

Thanks

Thank you for explaining that. I like the fact that you got to enjoy it for awhile, and I'm sorry that you're unable to play any more.

The FON looks right. Unfortunately, as I said, the modifications were done without concern for its authenticity as a vintage Gibson. The placement of the control knobs is particularly unfortunate (as well as the change to some sort of humbuckers (the guitar originally had one P-90 single coil pickup). So, "collectability" is out the window, I'm afraid. The value would be subjective at this point, but there's no collector's value any more. This is not a rare model, in fact it's a relatively common model, in production for over 60 years, so unmodified examples are very easy to find. Good luck.

Archived