Gibson Brands Forums

L4 CES ??

stapletop

Im in the market for a used L4 CEs ,something from the late 80s to present. Aside from Rosewood boards and maple or mahogany body ,any differences? Thanks.ST

There's a 1997 for sale here: http://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/sale/29501-l-4ces-natural-blonde-beauty.html#post326385 .

As for differences, other than laminated maple vs. mahogany, the L-4CES has remained consistent since 1988. I hear that ebony is making way for rosewood fretboards in the latest productions but so far, I have seen no evidence of that. The L-4CES has always featured a carved solid spruce top.

There is some uncertainty over whether the mahogany used was laminated or solid carved between 1988 and 1993. The Gibson ES-175 of that same era featured laminated mahogany back and rim so it was presumed that the L-4CES would feature the same. Since 2003 when mahogany was reintroduced to the L-4CES, it has been solid mahogany. Figured laminated maple was used between 1993 and 2003.

The Sunburst spray pattern carried over to the back and rim between 1988 and 1993, and 1993 and 2003, on both mahogany and maple L-4CESs. From 2003 onwards, the mahogany back and rim, and the back of the neck were given a solid dark colour when it was sprayed sunburst on the top and a clear coat natural mahogany when the spruce top was left Natural.

Im in the market for a used L4 CEs ,something from the late 80s to present. Aside from Rosewood boards and maple or mahogany body ,any differences? Thanks.ST

Hi I own a 2005 Mahogany L4 CES. Love it. In fact I often gig with it cos I like its tone. Plays well. The mahogany body makes it sound different to a 175. Seems to be a darker sound.

Here's mine. Now if you want me to be really honest, I replaced the '57 classics with Benedetto S-6's. Why cos the classics sounded too thin and I had to keep taking nearly all the treble off to get the sound I wanted.

94096da4.png

I would suppose you meant "A-6" (standard style humbucker), as the "S-6" (S=suspended) is a pickguard mounted pickup.

Thanks Larry. You are correct. They are A-6's. it's been awhile since I put them in.

There is one here: (Edit: Removed dead Craigslist links.)

It is Craigslist so BUYER BEWARE! They want top dollars for used instruments and I won't pay anywhere close to those prices. As for a price guide, do your own research. Let's just say that they are asking NEW prices for used guitars.

Don't transact unless you can see and touch the guitar in person.

Archived