Gibson Brands Forums

Tommy Thayer 'Spaceman' - pickup error?

Skyline_UK

I just bought a brand new Tommy Thayer 'Spacemen' LP. (I'm not familiar with Kiss and don't want to be, I just liked the cosmetics...)

Problem: the pole pieces on the neck pickup are out of whack with the strings. When I measure things I find that the neck pickup is in fact a bridge pickup! Has anyone else encountered this? Is it intentional or a manufacturing balls up/poor QC issue?

[thumbdn]

In the guitar spec we read:

Neck Pickup Gibson 498T™ Humbuckers, covered

Bridge Pickup Gibson 498T™ Humbucker, open-coil

Both are bridge pickups (in the 498T "T" means Treble which denotes bridge pickup). So, it seems to me this "error" is intentional.

Thanks for the responses guys. Very reassuring.

I have a very similar Epi Joe Bonamassa which has Burstbuckers and I do prefer the sounds of those to be honest. Still, I'm going to leave things for a while as I only bought the Spaceman last week. If necessary I'll swap the 498Ts out for Burstbuckers. By the way, if you're thinking of getting one of these, the fit and overall finish is very good although the neck is very chubby, which doesn't phase me at all, I can adapt. Maybe it has to be chunky in order for rockets to be attached to it or something! (Dunno, I'm not a Kiss fan, it may be one of the others blokes that does that...) ;)

Thanks for the responses guys. Very reassuring.

I have a very similar Epi Joe Bonamassa which has Burstbuckers and I do prefer the sounds of those to be honest. Still, I'm going to leave things for a while as I only bought the Spaceman last week. If necessary I'll swap the 498Ts out for Burstbuckers. By the way, if you're thinking of getting one of these, the fit and overall finish is very good although the neck is very chubby, which doesn't phase me at all, I can adapt. Maybe it has to be chunky in order for rockets to be attached to it or something! (Dunno, I'm not a Kiss fan, it may be one of the others blokes that does that...) ;)

Thick necks give richer, fuller tones, so you're better off with the thickest neck that's comfortable for your hand. If you decide to swap PU's, Burstbuckers would be an excellent choice (better than '57's).

Archived