Gibson Brands Forums

R7 goldtop pots

wolfman2020

I just got a R7 Goldtop and it has the small light brown dipped capacitors and the pots with Gibson engraved on the back, It has R7 stamped in the cavity, does anyone know if these came in the Earlier R7s and if they did approx, when? Im trying to date this guitar and see if its original? 7 0032 is the serial. any help would be appreciated.

Early R7s. Best guess is a 2000. Those pots and caps were not used in the 2010 R7's and I don't think there was a 1990 R7, but could be wrong. I would replace the pots with RS Super pots and the caps with some better ones. I like the Russian paper-in-oil (PIO) ones. Some like Orange drops. If you are up for some experimenting that is pretty easy to do, replace the pots and solder everything in except the caps. Get a bunch of different caps of the same or close specs. Use an alligator clip lead that is commonly found at Radio Shack for a few bucks and try each cap before you settle on them and solder them in. Some vintage are good and some are junk. Same with new ones and a meter will not tell you how they sound. I used to think that a cap is just a cap until I tried this experiment.

Early R7s. Best guess is a 2000. Those pots and caps were not used in the 2010 R7's and I don't think there was a 1990 R7, but could be wrong. I would replace the pots with RS Super pots and the caps with some better ones. I like the Russian paper-in-oil (PIO) ones. Some like Orange drops. If you are up for some experimenting that is pretty easy to do, replace the pots and solder everything in except the caps. Get a bunch of different caps of the same or close specs. Use an alligator clip lead that is commonly found at Radio Shack for a few bucks and try each cap before you settle on them and solder them in. Some vintage are good and some are junk. Same with new ones and a meter will not tell you how they sound. I used to think that a cap is just a cap until I tried this experiment.

I appreciate the help, I just bought it and I wasn't sure if they all came with the BB caps and I was hoping someone didn't take out the original electronics before selling it. Thats a good idea using alligator clips to test run some different capacitors. Thanks again

tip on the clips

• 2 months later...

Archived