Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Maple?

JDWags

I'd be the first in line to buy a maple J45 if Gibson made one with a sunburst finish and a maple neck. I just can't go for a mahogany neck on a maple guitar' date=' just don't look right.[/quote']

And I'd be standing in line right behind you. I love the idea of a Barenberg sig model too, although I'd be curious to know if the neck on his is maple or mahogany. Barenberg may not be well known to the general public, but he is to a lot of players and I think that one would be a hit. In any event, 1940's burst, neck profile, and bracing, 1 3/4 nut, bone nut and saddle, hide glue construction and ooo baby, I'm there.

Like a few other people here, maple is my favorite tonewood, followed closely by mahogany. I have a Santa Cruz VSD, which is a maple/sitka slope dread that's a nod to the vintage SJ's. Great guitar with wonderful tone, but misses capturing that Gibson essence. Don't get me wrong, I love the SC, but I'd kill for the real thing. You listening Gibson?

Here are a couple of 40s Maple Banners. I still own the one on the right. They do have a sound unlike any other Gibson flat top. Volume, ring, sustain. Most have laminated backs and solid sides, some have truss rods some don't. Both of these have five piece necks. While the necks are substantial they are also very playable. These were built due to wood shortages, but created one of the best sounding Gibson flat tops. They are very heavy.

DCP_4983.jpg

DCP_4994.jpg

Archived