Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Special II

cyclecamper

I picked up a barely-used Epiphone Les Paul Special II for $80 by searching Guitar Center online. $80. No fret wear.

I've had a LOT of guitars. This is undoubtedly the best-playing value for the money I've ever run across. More stable than an SG. I don't kow if I would call it a Les Paul, it deserves its own name, and not a Melody Maker either. Setup was mediocre, the nut was grooved deep on the low-"E" for heavy-guage strings, easily corrected with a bit of epoxy and a welding-tip file. I picked up a new Gibson LS-6 at the same time, and I'm not sure it's 15 times more fun. This Special II is a real bargain IMHO. I went to high school with Paul Hamer, and it reminds me of his really solid early guitars. Good size and shape, acceptable pickups.

I was looking at some Agile guitars that seem high-quality for the price, but I might take a second look at the Epiphone hollow-bodies again. If I decide I want a spine-thru I'll probalby try the Agile. I sure can't afford the Travis Beans that I had to sell after my divorce. Living with them taught me to live without a vibrato tailpiece/bridge.

can you post a picture [smile]

Sure, soon. My only compliant might be that one tuner is a bit sticky, they don't have quite the feel I'm used to, but I'm very very spoiled. Got a great guitar for less money than the case; guess that means I have to shop harder for the case next time.

Archived