Gibson Brands Forums

Americana style

brannon67

I have noticed a few bands coming out, like Mumford and Sons, The Lumineers, Dawes, and some others, getting popular, in the Americana, rock/country type of sound. Where did the Americana type style and sound come from. California, the South, the north, where?

Steve... good shot there.

All kidding aside, too, in reflection I think perhaps we're in a somewhat similar circumstance to the '50s when technology was growing and music styles were crossing every line you can imagine.

It's always been there, I think, but except for niche musicians and bands, I think we're back to the place where it's difficult to tell specifically what genre we might be hearing. The exception might be the large "rap" following and ongoing stream of what once was called "race records" that continue too.

But whenever I pop through the cable TV music vid channels, and make comparisons to how "pop," country and the nascent "rock" genres were doing in the '50s, I see some real similarity in how a lotta current music styles kinda meld together sorta like the tastes of crust, topping and cheese in a pizza. It's as if the artists' identification with a traditional "label" of style makes more difference than the material.

At least, that's how it appears to an old guy. Then again, on reflection I guess "Americana" likely describes my mix of material one might discover were they to catch me pickin' either in public or just in private for fun. It might be "Misty" with fat chords on an acoustic or some cowboy song on an electric.

m

Brannon...

Well, look back at the '50s.

We were losing the swing bands; some of those top musicians were forming their own groups that performed quite esoteric sorts of jazz nobody could really whistle or dance to.

What happened to the main streams of music? We got more or less generalized "pop" and lots of functional crossover material by some really talented folks whose music outlasted the next 30 years. Meanwhile the one-hit wonders weren't sustainable. Folks still listen to and perform "Crazy" that's a Willy Nelson tune made huge by Patsy Cline. Country? Jazz? Pop? Ever hear Roy Buchanan's guitar version?

Even the Beatles middle material, such as "Yesterday," certainly don't fit a "rock" genre label.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be the last to claim I'm a Wayne Newton fan. <grin> but I think a lotta young musicians aren't thinking sustainable music. Those who do are likely to be around a long time. But then again, perhaps that's America(na).

<grin>

m

Steve... good shot there.

All kidding aside, too, in reflection I think perhaps we're in a somewhat similar circumstance to the '50s when technology was growing and music styles were crossing every line you can imagine.

It's always been there, I think, but except for niche musicians and bands, I think we're back to the place where it's difficult to tell specifically what genre we might be hearing. The exception might be the large "rap" following and ongoing stream of what once was called "race records" that continue too.

But whenever I pop through the cable TV music vid channels, and make comparisons to how "pop," country and the nascent "rock" genres were doing in the '50s, I see some real similarity in how a lotta current music styles kinda meld together sorta like the tastes of crust, topping and cheese in a pizza. It's as if the artists' identification with a traditional "label" of style makes more difference than the material.

At least, that's how it appears to an old guy. Then again, on reflection I guess "Americana" likely describes my mix of material one might discover were they to catch me pickin' either in public or just in private for fun. It might be "Misty" with fat chords on an acoustic or some cowboy song on an electric.

m

Thanks M,

I think though at the end of the day it's all about labels - everything has to be pigeon holed and tagged. To these ears over the years, everything has just become music - some I like, some I don't I suppose. ;)

Archived