Gibson Brands Forums

Bad Hum from a Les Paul Ultra II

Bad Scooter

I just got a Les Paul Ultra II last week. I played 3 gigs with it this past weekend and love the guitar. The only problem I had was that at 2 of the gigs, I got terrible buzz from my amp when I plugged into both the magnetic and nanomag outputs at the same time. I ran the nanomag to the PA and had the hum there as well. When I only plugged into the magnetic (mono) output, the buzz completely disappeared. This is not a big deal, because I plan on just using the one output and getting an A/B pedal to switch between the amp and PA. Is it just the nature of the nanomag pickup to pick up this buzz from lights or electrical systems?

Aside from the buzz, the acoustic sound from this guitar through the PA was very impressive. It'll come in handy on small stages where I can't bring both an electric and an acoustic. I also love the sound when running just the mono output and mixing in the acoustic sound with the electric sound. I have a Clapton Strat with a TBX tone control and it creates a similar sound.

I own an Ultra 2 and lve the guitar also.

The 1st thing I would do is change the battery. Might be low power causing the hum.

If not, then I would start changing other things. The cord would be first.

Try a stereo cord also.

The 1st thing I would do is change the battery. Might be low power causing the hum.

Try a stereo cord also.

Thanks for the advice. I found a Fender stereo cable on eBay. I was in a music shop yesterday and checked out another Les Paul to compare its weight to the Ultra. It was heavy. I would not want to play a four-hour long gig with it. That's another reason I love the Ultra, it is light. It has a very thick sound and is great through my Fender Hot Rod Deville amp.

I love the quilt top and named it "The Shark." Here it is at my first gig with it last weekend.

Debut of the Shark

Try a stereo cord also.

This is the stereo cord I found on e-Bay. My link

I tried it with the guitar but could not get it to work. No matter which output I plug it into on the guitar, the acoustic output will not send the split the signal. Did I buy the wrong kind of cord? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

This is the stereo cord I found on e-Bay. My link

I tried it with the guitar but could not get it to work. No matter which output I plug it into on the guitar, the acoustic output will not send the split the signal. Did I buy the wrong kind of cord? Thanks.

I don't have a LP Ultra but do have a 339 Ultra and best I found out is it is not really wired stereo- the only way I got clean seperation of the pickups was 2 quality mono cords. I boudgt a $$$ stereo cord to 2 mono straight plugs and ended up cutting the stereo end off and soldering 2 right angle plugs on and it works great

Archived