Gibson Brands Forums

Stereo Cord for Les Paul Ultra

Bad Scooter

• 3 weeks later...

I had this problem with my 339 Ultra bought a $$$ stero cord and didn't work -after reading the owners book over and over I figured out it needs 2 mono cords to work. I cut the stereo plug off and soldered 2 right angle plugs on and it sounds great

the wording I missed in the 339's owners pamplet was "Stereo: when this jack is ALSO used" ALSO being the key word - use both jacks and you get seperate outputs -- it also stated " use standard 1/4" instrument cables" not a word about stereo cables - I missed that also - anyway the mod I made to the stereo cable works and you don't have 2 cords hanging from your axe [biggrin]

Thanks for the info. I didn't catch that in the manual either. I've run the Nanomag output directly to a PA and the regular output to my amp using 2 cables. The only problem I had was the Nanomag pickup buzzes badly. At one gig, just having a cable plugged into the Nanomag output created a loud buzz in my amp, even when the volume was down. At a gig last week, I tested it and the buzz was still there in the PA, but not nearly as bad. I'm thinking about just using the mono output and an A/B pedal to switch between my amp and the PA, depending on whether I'm using the Nanomag or the regular pickups. I really only need to do that for small stages when I can't fit my acoustic guitar on stage.

You can get stereo cables designed for keyboards that have two 1/4" plugs on each end but only a single "welded" cable for the length of it. You can peel apart the cables at the ends so you have enough length to route to 2 separate amps if you like. Much less of a PITA than dealing with two separate cables.

Thanks for the info. I didn't catch that in the manual either. I've run the Nanomag output directly to a PA and the regular output to my amp using 2 cables. The only problem I had was the Nanomag pickup buzzes badly. At one gig, just having a cable plugged into the Nanomag output created a loud buzz in my amp, even when the volume was down. At a gig last week, I tested it and the buzz was still there in the PA, but not nearly as bad. I'm thinking about just using the mono output and an A/B pedal to switch between my amp and the PA, depending on whether I'm using the Nanomag or the regular pickups. I really only need to do that for small stages when I can't fit my acoustic guitar on stage.

My 339 Ultra had a hum but it was a polarity issue between the amps. I was using a Acoustic AG30 for the Nanomag and a Fender Mustang III for the HB's and neither had a polarity / ground lift switch. That presented a great excuse to upgrade a amp went to Acoustic AG60 ( with ground lift) and problem solved - Plus that amp is great you should check it out 60W RMS - 2 seperate channels each with 2 1/4" inputs and 2 XLR inputs - I can do guitar and mike in one amp with a great sound on each channel great for smaller gigs also comes in 120W RMS but that was more power than I need

Archived