Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Explorers

Spyke1

Hi all,

I always fancied getting an Explorer one day, and Epiphone have made lots of different models. I really like the look of the TV Silver Pro. Has anyone here got any love for the Epi Explorers, or stories to share about them, maybe found a bargain gem or anything?

Ant :)

I have TV Silver Explorer, I must say it's a nice guitar. The Alnico Classic Pro pickups sound great. I think they are much better clean than any other guitar I have. It seems they sound louder clean than non-Pro version found in LP Studio, they also seem louder with low-gain overdrive. With high gain, they are at least decent :) I also like to use the low-gain overdrive with coil split, it sounds interesting to me.

The guitar itself is heavy, but well balanced, although after some playing I feel its weigth on my left arm. The body shape allows my right forearm rest on it conveniently.

I had a Epi '58 Korina Explorer 13-14 years ago. Loved it from the moment I laid hands on it in Strait Music in Austin and was sad when I had to sell 'er several years later. Played like a dream and was comfortable sitting or standing.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a used nearly mint condition black 1958 korina epi explorer today for dirt cheap off craigslist. Very very impressed with this one over another one I bought many years ago. Gotta find a black pickguard and the EMG HetSet and we're there.

post-57491-015617900 1373169295_thumb.jpg

As an addendum to the above post, rather than going through all the hassle to have another pickguard custom made, I just spray painted it and looks good. I just purchased the EMG HetSet yesterday and will have them installed today, so I'll give you an update soon as I can.

Got the EMG JH set installed today. The installation did not require any additional routing. Configuration is neck volume, bridge volume and master tone. So manipulations of each of these knobs can give you quite an array of different sounds. The pickups seem to deliver on the hype. I've been so used to the 81/85 or 81/81 combos that that is how I judge the "EMG sound". But these seem to be more punchy in its attack, its clean sounds are better, yet still has the articulation, saturation and sustain of active pickups.

• 4 weeks later...

Got the EMG JH set installed today. The installation did not require any additional routing. Configuration is neck volume, bridge volume and master tone. So manipulations of each of these knobs can give you quite an array of different sounds. The pickups seem to deliver on the hype. I've been so used to the 81/85 or 81/81 combos that that is how I judge the "EMG sound". But these seem to be more punchy in its attack, its clean sounds are better, yet still has the articulation, saturation and sustain of active pickups.

So the 9 volt battery will fit into the thin compartment of an epi explorer? Thinking about doing exactly what you did only with an emg 81 in the bridge and a emg 60 in the neck. (i use the neck for cleans so i prefer the clean of the 60. Also, for both pickups do you use one battery or one for each pickup?

Archived