Gibson Brands Forums

Help! Input Jack Buzzing Epiphone Sheraton

s.cheah

I got an Epiphone Sheraton a few months ago and the input jack has always come loose, literally after every time playing or unplugging/plugging it will loosen. I've just thought nothing of it and tightened it (not too much) each time.

I was playing earlier and all of a sudden I started getting this horrible loud buzzing with a lot of feedback, at first I thought it was my cables but I quickly realised it was something else. I unplugged and realised the input jack was really loose so I tightened it up and all of a sudden when I plugged in and played I couldn't hear anything, I fiddled with it loosening/tightening etc and now all I'm hearing is buzzing.

I'm certain it's the input jack; if I hit a note and unplug the cable from the jack by a centimetre or less, I can just about hear the note playing through my amp, the same happens if I move the cable slightly. Also when the cable is plugged into the jack, if I touch the metal where the cable and jack meet, the buzzing stops. I appreciate any help you could give me, this is kind of frustrating as I got the guitar only a few months ago and having to take it to a guitar shop for repair will be very annoying.

Ok I've managed to get the jack out and it appears the soldering has broken between one of the cables and the connection, the white wire is still attached but as for the other one (I don't know what it is), it is gone. If it's just soldering I can do that at home.

Ok I've managed to get the jack out and it appears the soldering has broken between one of the cables and the connection, the white wire is still attached but as for the other one (I don't know what it is), it is gone. If it's just soldering I can do that at home.

I'm certainly no expert, but sounds your "hot" wire (white) is still good, but you're missing a ground wire. I'm sure more knowledgable folks than me will chime in. For the future, this little guy was some of the best $20 Santa ever spent on a stocking stuffer:

http://www.amazon.com/JackTight-Electric-Guitar-Output-Repair/dp/B0062OJV0I/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1372023835&sr=1-1&keywords=jacktight

#1 - It's the "output" jack... ;-)

#2 - When you tightened the nut, you probably tore the ground wire off the jack.

Try putting one of those "star" type washers on the jack before pulling it through the hole in the guitar top. Then put your flat washer on the outside before the nut. I use a wood "plug" with a wire attached that fits snugly in the jack to pull it through the hole. This "plug" then allows you to hold the jack firmly in place while tightening the nut without the jack turning.

Archived