Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SG G400 Pelham Blue with Maestro

STEVIL

Thinking of taking the plunge with the Epiphone SG G400 Pelham Blue with Maestro, has anyone got one of these? I have a bit of cash set aside, that I basically didn't realise I had, and I'm really in love with the look being a massive SG fan anyway. Just thought I'd ask around see if anyone else had one. I don't think there is a single shop in the UK that stocks one right now, so going in for a play around on this SG is not an option - all thoughts welcome. [thumbup]

I have several Epi SG's with stock Maestros (red, black, and white). Nice guitars. All of them, and the several others with Maestros that I've played are made of strong, heavy wood. Les Paul weight. I don't think it's coincidence. With the long neck and thin body, they need a stable foundation so that there aren't issues with a vibrato bar. That keeps the neck straight and the screws from coming out of softer woods.

I don't actually use the Maestros on them very often, but they look so good. There is no cooler looking vibrato. Plus they have the most comfortable handle of any of them. And since these are all made in small numbers, they'll hold their value over time. You can retrofit a Maestro to a regular SG, but you'll have two big holes where the stop bar was. Plus the aftermarket Maestros, which are pricey, are plain with no engraving on the cover plate, and that looks rather stark.

Thanks for the reply, I'm definitely considering the SG, there is a one on eBay from a few years back, 2011 I think. Might have a bid see how I get on, if not I might go for one of the new Pelham blue releases. Thanks again, appreciated! [thumbup]

Archived