Gibson Brands Forums

Removing bubblewrap marks from nitro finish?

trapdoorspider

I bought a pretty cool-looking 1998 SG-Z on eBay, and the guy used plastic bubblewrap to pad the guitar so it wouldn't slip around in the case during shipping.

Well, it left behind rows of little round marks across the finish on the back of the guitar. You can't feel them, so it's not like they "etched" in the surface very deeply, and you can only really see them if you tilt the guitar into the light, but they're an aggravation, to say the least.

Does anyone know of a good and SAFE way to remove these marks without harming the nitro finish?

I know you'd like to see a picture, but they are so faint (and I'm not a good enough photographer) to get them to show up.

Could have been worse. He could have used the BIG bubbles, and he could have wrapped them around the entire guitar. These are the little 3/8" bubbles, and only on the back.

Thanks for any advice you can offer. - Michael

Try using a good polish. I used to use Meguier's or Mother's on mine. It would make them shine like crazy. I've also heard some to the guys here mention other polishes. I'm surprised nobody else has volunteered anything up to this point as some of these polishes are very good at getting small marks out.

Try using a good polish. I used to use Meguier's or Mother's on mine. It would make them shine like crazy. I've also heard some to the guys here mention other polishes. I'm surprised nobody else has volunteered anything up to this point as some of these polishes are very good at getting small marks out.

Thanks. I was expecting a much more complicated solution; I guess I was worried that the plastic had somehow ruined the finish. I'll give it a shot. Thanks again, michael

Archived