Gibson Brands Forums

1963 Epiphone FT30 Caballero

Hi all, hoping someone here can help me. Sorry it's a lengthy first post. I've hit a dead-end with my research...

I've recently purchased my second Kalamazoo-made Epiphone FT30 Caballero. It's a 1963, in a respectable condition and bears the serial number 137470. It has a couple of features that make it different from others though - namely Kluson Deluxe tuners (not the standard open-back Klusons), and it also has a stylised 'signature' of Al Caiola on the lower bout (Al Caiola was a well known session player who had a signature Epiphone electric model on sale in the same period).

After some digging around online, I discovered two other examples of FT30 Caballeros with the same unusual features as mine:

The first was put up for sale on ebay in April 2012, but it appears it didn't sell. The seller was under the impression that it was unique, signed in-person by Al Caiola and gifted to two sisters who may have once toured with Al Caiola. That example had the serial number 137480. (If you're interested in looking, the listing/item number was 121087458310 - you may still be able to view it).

The second example I found (it may even be the same one described above) was on a YouTube video posted in October 2011 . Again, the owner was under the impression that his example was unique, and may have been given to Al Caiola. Again, if you're interested here's a link:

I am 100% certain mine is not the first one (discovered on eBay), and pretty sure it is not the one in the YouTube video (without knowing it's serial number, I can only look for differences - mine does not have the 'epsilon' logo on the pick guard).

Despite the owners of those examples thinking the signature was done 'in person', I am also certain mine left the factory with it (it's under the lacquer finish and looks like paint, not pen or marker). This led me to believe that a (small?) number were produced. If this is the case, I cannot find ANYTHING about them. If they are a variation or sub-model FT30, none of the reference books I have seen mention it. It also looks like nobody has ever posted similar queries on these forums.

So, I have a couple of questions:

1. How many 'Al Caiola' FT30 Caballeros were produced? - and why?

2. Has anyone else got one? - If so, let me know.

Have I made a real discovery? Is this an undocumented model? I know that sound-wise it's no different from any other FT30, but could/should it be considered more scarce?

Any help would be much appreciated! In due course I will add pics of my one.

Again, sorry for the length of the post! :)

I know it's not the done thing to reply to your own post, but I thought I'd post a couple of extra bits of information that have come to light since I started the thread.

I have contacted the seller of the other guitar that appeared on eBay in April 2012 (Serial No. 137480). He explained that he did eventually sell his guitar and all his research was exhausted. The seller went on to speculate that "...Al Caiola had a few of these guitars made up with his signature to give away to friends." As it stands, this speculation obviously cannot be verified.

In addition, I contacted the seller of my Caballero (Serial No. 137470). I noted that the seller's address was New Jersey (home town of Al Caiola) and hoped he might have known a bit more, but that also drew a total blank.

I also attempted to contact the owner of the other example (the one on YouTube). All I did was leave a comment hoping the person who posted the video would respond, but alas, I've heard nothing.

My final effort was an e-mail to Epiphone themselves... despite me asking for any 'extra' information, all they responded with was a cursory e-mail confirming that mine is an FT30 Caballero and the serial number checks out as a '63. I was not impressed that they simply told me what I already know. They also appear to have ignored my subsequent e-mail (asking if they know anybody who can be more help). I appreciate that my guitar might (possibly) only be a minor footnote in the history of Epiphone, but I can't help feeling disappointed they don't appear to care at all...

So, having drawn a few blanks I'm running out of options. It appears Al Caiola is still alive (92 according to Wikipedia), but completely un-contactable... I suppose it was too much to hope he'd be on Twitter!

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Brief update for anyone who is interested:

After some extensive e-mailing, George Gruhn and Walter Carter have both confirmed that they have never come across any FT30 Caballero bearing this Al Caiola 'signature'... so I'm now trying to track down Al himself... :)

Certainly have to give you an E for Epiphone Effort!

I'm guessing Al signed a few guitars for a store owner buddy.

Certainly have to give you an E for Epiphone Effort!

I'm guessing Al signed a few guitars for a store owner buddy.

Happy to accept an Epiphone 'Epsilon' E for effort...!

I have successfully tracked down Al Caiola himself - can you believe the guy uses e-mail at 92 years old - my 89 year old grandfather won't go near a computer!

Al has confirmed that it is indeed a faithfully reproduced facsimile of his signature...! However, he has no knowledge of why the guitar was produced. That said, he is keen to know so I've continued my research.

I have now found 3 confirmed examples (all 1963, with open-book headstock, Kluson Deluxe tuners and the facsimile 'signature' in identical position). They appear to have consecutive serial numbers too: 137470 (my one), 137472, and 137480. If you want to see pictures, I have uploaded them to my Flickr. See www.flickr.com/photos/shedoverheels

I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed that Epiphone themselves don't seem to care about researching this unusual 'variant' model. It seems only their records would be a help now in finding further information.

If anyone else has any ideas about how to proceed, please let me know. I've recently sent another e-mail to Heritage guitars as I am told that many of the staff worked at Kalamazoo in the 1960s. Once again, I will post any further news...! :D

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone else has any ideas about how to proceed, please let me know. I've recently sent another e-mail to Heritage guitars as I am told that many of the staff worked at Kalamazoo in the 1960s. Once again, I will post any further news...! :D

Two of Heritage Guitars founders Moats and Lamb both started working for Gibson in the mid-1950s. Deurloo was with them a little later starting in the late 1960s. Heritage was able to snag a number of skilled employees who refused to make the move from Kalamazoo to Nashville in 1984.

Also keep in mind that even though it is been more than 70 years, nobody has yet been able to figure out who decided to added the "Only a Gibson is Good Enough" to the headstock of guitars in 1942.

Archived