Gibson Brands Forums

P'up swap for Sheraton II tonight !

Bender 4 Life

hey gang, tonight i'm trying some better p'ups in my '08 Ebony Sheri II, & probably doing a hardware swap to chrome as well. The stock bridge p'up isn't bad at all but the neck unit just isn't what I want, & they're almost impossible to "balance".

the p'ups that came out of my old LP are what's going into it, & being circuitboard backed p'ups this should be a really easy swap.

already have my rings, & H/W if I decide to go chrome.

here are what's going into what, and i'll do a pictorial as I go, but this is about as basic as it gets.

GarysCam112.jpg

GarysCam108.jpg

GarysCam068.jpg

well I finally got the pics uploaded !

the actual job was a big "no biggie" and only took a cpl hrs, including pulling & checking all the electronics and re-installing them.

this coming Sept, ALL the electronics are going to be replaced because they're all corroded w/lead salt.

i'll probably also drop in a set of some S/D or GFS p'ups at that time because the Gibson circuitboard p'ups while sounding better than the stockers just aren't sweet.....they're hot & clear as a bell, but just not sweet.

anyhow, here it is ready to go back together, and after assembly.

GarysCam299_zps437e93c0.jpg

GarysCam300_zps0df392fb.jpg

GarysCam301_zpsac0982a9.jpg

Different magnets can create small but significant changes in tone. For example, if you've got alnico V in the new pickups, alnico II should make them a little sweeter.

Magnets don't cost much so, if you're trying out pickups, it doesn't hurt to have some A2, A3, A4 and A5 lying around to experiment with. To swap them out, remove the cover (there'll be a blob of solder holding it on) and then, on the baseplate, slacken the screws which hold the bobbins on just enough to slide out the magnet. Take note of the polarity so you don't end up with the middle position out of phase (unless you like that sound - many do).

Different magnets can create small but significant changes in tone. For example, if you've got alnico V in the new pickups, alnico II should make them a little sweeter.

Magnets don't cost much so, if you're trying out pickups, it doesn't hurt to have some A2, A3, A4 and A5 lying around to experiment with. To swap them out, remove the cover (there'll be a blob of solder holding it on) and then, on the baseplate, slacken the screws which hold the bobbins on just enough to slide out the magnet. Take note of the polarity so you don't end up with the middle position out of phase (unless you like that sound - many do).

that is the exact problem McG....I love A2s !

i'll just ride it out as is until I upgrade all the electronics in Sept, then i'll go w/maybe a pair of '57 classics(no+) or something similar.....but it may just be interesting to open these c/b p'ups up to have a look.

+1. A2's are 'sweeter' in the sense that they have more mids, more texture and dynamics, and a softer high end. A5's have a lot of bass and treble, scooped mids, and don't have as much 'character' as A2's.

There's online video instruction for swapping magnets in HB's and P-90's. Takes 10 minutes to change a magnet and most of that's loosening strings and retuning. Addiction FX has a large selection of guitar magnets, and low prices. You literally create a new pickup when you change it's magnet. If it sounds harsh, thin, muddy, boomy, etc, that can often be fixed with a magnet that only costs several dollars.

Archived