Gibson Brands Forums

A Gibson LP Harley-Davidson

milod

Well... my apt '64-65 - which wasn't there in the mid '80s any more - was plenty warm although those weren't all that bad for Iowa summers as I recall. First one had a fire and I moved into another right off University afterward. Not really a very good neighborhood. <grin>

EDIT: I remember the summer of '51 going to the state fair, but my folks were really concerned about polio.

Hey, how 'bout the interurban train to Iowa City... or the train station downtown in DM? <grin>

Sheesh, sorry, I'll admit I'm gettin' a bit old, but not long in the tooth 'cuz mine are storebought.

m

The train station DT DSM was the Rock Island and was really cool to me as a kid. I think the Burlington Route with the Zephyr shout thru Osceola south of DM and is the Amtrak line these days. Didn't know about the interurban run to Iowa City however. I didn't get much out of the neighborhood in those days even on my bicycle. [biggrin] Unless it was the family yearly trip to Clarksville Tennessee to see all the relatives.

Lots of gun play and really bad neighborhood south & east of Drake now, Drake Park area. I don't like to drive thru there much in the day let alone night.

I've decided that even a classic bike or car is going to need service & parts over the years so not being long in the tooth is just about the same. Store bought choppers are about like getting a new water pump if they keep you going down the road still!! [biggrin]

Aster

I recall a bit of a trip on the interurban to Iowa City from DM - probably around '48 or '49. The uni there had quonset hut married student housing, I took the ride with my grandmother to visit my aunt and uncle. 'Twas a long time ago, eh?

Then in '63 around Christmas to Chicago on the train from DM. Again, something of a different world.

m

Would love to have the 40's-early 50's train travel now to use. The Chief, Super Chief, Zephyr, and others were great transportation, and the treatment was pretty good. Those old stations were so cool. Funny how the Rail system built the National Parks for the most part in the day. Yellowstone, Tetons, and many others all so people had a reason to take the train right to the Parks. Good marketing plan eh?

Aster

How's things going now with the rally area? Buffalo chip reports record crowds for the first 2 days. May be a chart topper. I could maybe do the week before or the week after as some say it's less activity but still a going concern.

What I'd like to do is "The Ride Home" to Milwaukee & Harley's 110th Birthday party. 30 yrs for H.O.G. Harley Owners Group club too. (way over 1 million members now) I'd love to see the newer Harley museum and some of the Harley festivities too. Can't this year, always something. Maybe the 115th I'll need a new bike and could take the trip. Lordy, I'll be getting old by then. [scared]

Aster

Archived