Gibson Brands Forums

Potential Epiphone purchase - ID help

Kalo

Hello,

I am Kalo, a potential epiphone buyer, but I need some help identifying the guitar and whether it is worth the investment or not.

I stumbled across a beautiful looking epi flying v in alpine white 58 reissue, selling for around $450 in mint condition. However it is labeled as a limited edition custom shop, hand crafted in china with a serial number 311560533.

I also found another guitar, same specs, alpine white 58 reissue, labeled as a custom shop remanufactured guitar, inspected in china with a serial number 311563923, going for around the same price.

I could not look up the serial numbers anywhere therefore I could not find out its price range.

The serials are on an orange sticker on the back of the headstock. Pictures attached.

Your assistance identifying the guitars in terms of production location, quality and worth is greatly appreciated.

post-58516-093938500 1375449349_thumb.jpg

post-58516-054155600 1375449355_thumb.jpg

Not 100% sure of which plant or year they were manufactured at in China.

The orange stickers indicate that these were factory seconds or refurbished models.

Which means they had a flaw, were returned, fixed and were resold without the manufactures warranty.

I know of many that have purchased and had no problems with their guitars.

My Sorrento is a Second that had a neck crack fixed very solidly and is one of my best playing, go to guitars. But I bought it for around $300 including a hardshell case.

Also not sure of the price. For me, refurbished models do not command the higher prices some put on them.

For that amount of money, I would wait to find one that was not refurbished.

You are asking, "Is it worth the money?". Not trying to sound cosmic or anything, but, look to yourself for the answer. Why do you want it? I seldom ever get rid of an instrument I have purchased (I still have my 2nd and 3rd guitars, both purchased over 3 decades ago). Of the few I have sold, I miss most of them. For me, a guitar is both a tool (it must do the job, play and sound right), and a special friend (I must feel drawn to it). Then it is just a matter of, "Do I have the money to spend on it."

If you are purchasing it as an investment with plans to re-sell it in the future for a profit, that is a different matter entirely. If that is your plan, I think I would pass on these guitars.

God bless, Spamonkis

I have a white '58. Nice guitar, also a refurbish (most of which have an very minor finish flaw, sometimes undetectable). White's pretty rare for those, and I don't know if you'll find one for less. The 'Custom Shop' thing just means limited edition, not a true custom shop.

These didn't come with Gibson PU's, so you don't have to worry about those being swapped out. It's extremely rare to have a warranty issue on any Epi; I've owned many over the years (including refurbs and 2nds) and any flaws have been insignificant, never had anything worth sending back to the factory for. I wouldn't lose sleep over that. Ask the sellers a specific questions about the condition. Verify the neck's straight and has no cracks. That's where most of the big problems would be.

If you want a '58 (my favorite V by far) and like it in white, you don't have many options. If you have the money, go for it.

Archived