Gibson Brands Forums

Replacement AJ-220S-VS

Larry Harris

Greetings,

Well pleased to report that Guitar Center replaced my AJ-220S-VS that had a messed up pick guard with a new guitar fresh out of the box. The Metal E sticker was the issue with the first one where they took off the sticker and the guitar looked really bad. The new one looks great with the exception of the very corner of the sticker is up a bit. At this point I am going to leave it be.

Anyone else experience this issue where the sticker doesn't seem to adhere to the pick guard all the way?

At any rate, the guitar looks, sounds and play great.

Cheers, Larry Harris

Hi Larry. I have an AJ-200sce and love it. And yes those E letters have a habit of pulling off. Mine is secure however. I also got mine at GC and it was set up great....perfect really. Some people actually let that E letter come off and leave it like that. But yours sounds secure now so enjoy that nice 220. I use Eixiir nanoweb light strings .12--.53 and have replaced the plastic pins with black Ebony/abalone wood pins. These two changes for me, made a nice difference in tone, and made a good guitar even better! Good luck!

Hi Larry. I have an AJ-200sce and love it. And yes those E letters have a habit of pulling off. Mine is secure however. I also got mine at GC and it was set up great....perfect really. Some people actually let that E letter come off and leave it like that. But yours sounds secure now so enjoy that nice 220. I use Eixiir nanoweb light strings .12--.53 and have replaced the plastic pins with black Ebony/abalone wood pins. These two changes for me, made a nice difference in tone, and made a good guitar even better! Good luck!

Thanks for the note. The strings that came with the guitar are brand new and sound fine. I do have a new set to put on shortly. I am going to leave the E alone for the moment. I am going to look into some better pins at some point. This guitar reminds me of the Gibson J-45 a bit. The guitar has a booming sound. I ended up with the Epiphone by trading in three guitar. I think that GC for sure will make out better in the deal but hey they replaced the messed up one for me so I am happy.

Cheers, Larry Harris

• 2 weeks later...

The E fell off of my AJ200 after I had it a couple of months. I probably shouldn't say this, but I was happy it did, I like the way the guitar work better without it.

Very happy with the sound and playability of my guitar (even without the E)

Archived