Gibson Brands Forums

Unique ES345?

Krisw123

Hi Guys, I have been a member for a couple of years but haven't posted for ages. I have just moved from UK to Denver and have brought my beloved ES345 with me. I need to get it appraised for insurance purposes and probably will go to Gruhn guitars. Just wondered if anyone knows anyone in Colorado who might be able to help. Hopefully the photo has downloaded! You will see that it is an unusual guitar to say the least. It is clearly a ES345 with the ususal Variotone and gold hardware. But it has 3 PAF pickups which appear to have been fitted from new. Also it has block fret markers rather than the normal parallelogram ones. It has Custom Made on the stop tail plate and Custom 345 on the truss rod cover. It is in fantastic condition and has the original case and some original manuals etc. I have owned it for about 10 years. I have contacted Gibson who have confirmed that it is indeed unusual if not unique. I am not sure if this makes it more or less valuable than a standard 345. The serial no puts it 1967/68.

There was a topic on here about 3 years ago on 3 pickup ES models and someone uploaded a video of a tour round the Gibson Custom shop and there was a 3 pickup ES model on the wall. Other than that I have never seen another one. Anyone else got any views or info?

Thanks, Chris

I don't see any photo, but it sounds interesting. To my knowledge, such customization, even from the factory, usually makes a vintage guitar less valuable, if anything. The number of players/collectors in the vintage market who prefer the exact specs of any given customized guitar is usually pretty small. They usually want to get the standard guitar as offered back in the day. Even the normal ES-345 is less desired than the ES-335, which is considered THE standard ES-3x5 model. But I happen to prefer the ES-345, especially now that I own a really good one. [thumbup]

I don't see any photo, but it sounds interesting. To my knowledge, such customization, even from the factory, usually makes a vintage guitar less valuable, if anything. The number of players/collectors in the vintage market who prefer the exact specs of any given customized guitar is usually pretty small. They usually want to get the standard guitar as offered back in the day. Even the normal ES-345 is less desired than the ES-335, which is considered THE standard ES-3x5 model. But I happen to prefer the ES-345, especially now that I own a really good one. [thumbup]

I agree with spitball but I would very much like to see a pic of your guitar!

I agree with spitball but I would very much like to see a pic of your guitar!

Yeah, I am rubbish at uploading photos unless it is from an I phone! Any hints or tips? I have all the photos of it on a laptop. Otherwise I am more than happy to email you photos if you like. I have certainly never seen a guitar anything like it. It iis sunburst finish and looks amazing ,, I think! I understand and possibly agree about its likely valuation. I do no want to sell it but do need to insure it as it will be irreplaceable. Cheers, Chris

Yeah, I am rubbish at uploading photos unless it is from an I phone! Any hints or tips? I have all the photos of it on a laptop. Otherwise I am more than happy to email you photos if you like. I have certainly never seen a guitar anything like it. It iis sunburst finish and looks amazing ,, I think! I understand and possibly agree about its likely valuation. I do no want to sell it but do need to insure it as it will be irreplaceable. Cheers, Chris

I have somehow managed to get a photo onto my avatar but still struggling to get one onto the forum board!

Archived