Gibson Brands Forums

Traditional V versus Modified V

Ridgemont

Looking at the current specs on the Gibson website, some guitars list Traditional V profiles and others the Modified V profile. To me, the Traditional V, as on the J45TV, is slightly thicker than the STD J45. How do the Traditional V and Modified V compare?

If you've ever played a real "V" neck none of these would qualify. Gibson has no idea as to what a "V" neck really is. It's a pity as a real "V" neck is a joy to play.

I had them make a J-100 extra in the custom shop in 1994 and it has a real "V" neck with the "V" offset to the base side. Val had to hand shape and fit it. Everyone that plays it loves it. The idea came from Joe Barden.

If you've ever played a real "V" neck none of these would qualify. Gibson has no idea as to what a "V" neck really is. It's a pity as a real "V" neck is a joy to play.

i just picked up a washburn 125th anniversary parlor--one from the initial limited run so it's solid rosewood b&s with a sitka top. It has a true V neck--as in an almost 90 degree angle at the point! I was unsure if I would like this but my goodness do i love it. I suppose if you play with your thumb in the middle of the neck you might not like it but if you're like me and wrap your thumb over the top of the fretboard (for shame!) it is a dream to play. really surprised me. oh and this neck is fat too--1 7/8 i've read. if anyone sees one of these I highly recommend trying it out. i was surprised how much i liked it.

Archived