Gibson Brands Forums

Which flavor of Guitar Rig

MCK

I know this will sound a little forward but I was just wondering... Does anyone know precisely which flavor of the Guitar Rig software we are getting? On the NI website one can see what these are and how depending on what you are getting you may want other things too... For instance, the pedal board that comes with the Kontrol Edition looks pretty sweet. I understand it also sells separately ( look here for pedal) so I think I can order this and couple it with what Gibson will give me but can anyone please confirm or reject this approach will work? Thanks in advance. bv

i understand its the full version of Guitar Rig - minus the Rig Control Pedal.

By contrast, Ableton Live is the "Lite" version.

I wanted to take advantage of the holday sale at Ableton to pay for the upgrade from Lite to Full Version 7, , but the online Ableton order page wants my existing Ableton Lite serial number - and I do not have that yet - since the RIP has been delayed.

;(

Be advised that most any MIDI foot controller may be employed as a controller. I'll use a simple M-Audio MIDI to USB interface with a generic foot controller with more buttons, instead of paying for a Rig Kontrol foot pedal. - bulk of the cost is in the built in USB Audio Interface in Rig Kontrol - this interface will go unused once we get the Rip box.

More here:

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=9904

I'll probably use my FCB-1010 with UNO firmware. - but since we are also controlling Ableton Live Lite too, many prefer the Yamaha MFC-10 Footcontroller

http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMMFC10

• 1 month later...

Steve, brushing the dust off this old thread now that we have the RIP & GR3 and the whole nine yards... Need to make a decision & place an order for something!

I take it if I were to buy the GR Kontrol hardware from NI then I can only control GR3 with it and not much else. On the other hand something like the Yamaha MFC-10 Footcontroller can be used to do much more including controlling Live. Can you kindly put together few noob nuggets outlining how one would connect Yamaha MFC-10 Footcontroller to the PC running GR3 & Live and setit up to do the trick and what other benefits could be derived from this setup? I know I'm asking for a lot here but given that you are bored and all its all done out of the goodness of my heart!

I hope you shake off your boredom as you spend hours typing away on your keyboard!!! Thanks much in advance.

Cheers,

KS

Its best to Log in to the NI web site and download all the GR docs

they are not accessible until you log in with your account ID

They a have a Doc which specifically explains how to configure external MIDi controllers for use with Guitar Rig

I'm eyeing my old POD XT Live to use as a MIDI controller - as it sends MIDI patch changes on the bottom row and MIDI CC# on the stombox top row. + supports 2 expression pedals.

i admit I'm a gear junky and given enough time I could compare several MIDI footcontrollers kicking around here at my house

as always - Google and Youtube may be your best help on learning how to configure alternative MIDI controllers for Guitar Rig

http://tinyurl.com/a9hrw

Hi elantric,

I have either a Bass POD XT Live pedalboard and a Roland FC300 footcontroller. Do you suggest one of these as a "perfect" footcontroller for the DF+GR3+Live or may I got the Yamaha one, too? For the future, I'd like to retain the footcontroller for the DF MIDI guitar capabilities...

Cheers,

- Matteo

Most important tool for anyone is this:

Use MIDi OX as a MIDI data "sniffer" - to see what MIDi messages your gear sends:

http://www.midiox.com/

Its the only way to fully debug MIDI remote control setups

In my collection - have the Roland FC-300 as its plug and play with the VG-99.

As they say - Its the best of times and the worst of times

Pro:

* It runs off batteries

* Its heavy duty and well made

* it has 2 built in expression pedals with toe switches

* it has jacks for adding additional footswitches - and a decent MIDI spec for programming.

* Includes relays jacks or Amp switching

Cons:

* Only 2 onboard "Control switches

* No PC/Mac Editor - difficult to program

* No patch toggle Mode - like Digitech PMC-10 or Ground Control

BTW - a good resource for programming the FC-300 is the Roger Linn Adrenalinn II controller guide - he uses it

http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/support/pedalboards.shtml

My current fave is a Behringer FCB-1010 with UNO chip and Ripwerx editor

http://www.ripwerx.com/

Its cheap enough i do not mind drilling holes and making modifications $80 ebay+ MAudio UNO MIDi/USB interface

ScreenShotXp.png

Re Bass POD XT Live

It should work very well with Guitar rig

It has a mode where it can send MIDI over USB

Use MIDi OX as a MIDI data "sniffer".

http://www.midiox.com/

and read the latest Line 6 Gearbox manual for MIDi details on the it

If money is no problem

look at these:

http://www.gordius.be/

I like the Big Little Giant

http://www.gordius.be/midi-footcontroller-lgx.php

I'm using the ART X-15, (ugly ***) midi pedal board. It works with GR3, but I am having issues with GR3 flexibility for pedal assignments, at least with this board (for example, I can't seem to figure out how to program the loop record function).

In any case, I am not overly excited about the whole GR3 thing, and even less impressed with Live. It is fun to play with, and some of the sounds are actually pretty dead on, but I still have issues with running it through a PA. Does anyone have a good live gigging solution for using GR3? I know it's not really intended for that purpose, but it sure would be nice to have the option.

For running GR-3 - and loops and Ableton and other stuff ( Logic, Garageband, PODFarm) I like this:

Traynor K4

http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=9&cat=57&id=340

lg_k4_panel.jpg

lg_k4.jpg

The North American built Traynor K4 is an advanced, extremely versatile stereo keyboard amplifier capable of delivering an extremely wide and varied tone pallet. The flagship keyboard amplifier in the line, the K4 uses three separate integrated amplifiers to deliver true stereo separation of the mid and high frequencies with the added bottom end of a mono-summed 200-watt 12-inch woofer. This variation of the 2.1 speaker configuration allows a stereo image to be felt on stage, inspiring the player with full stereo feel from a single 300 watt combo amplifier.

A single 200 watt 12-inch woofer delivers solid low end while a pair of 50 watt amplifiers drive pairs of 4.5-inch midrange drivers and 2.5-inch compression drivers that deliver high and mid frequency program.

Designed to be one of the most versatile amplifiers in the Traynor line, K4 offers a choice of tube or solid-state signal path, selectable from a singe switch on the front panel. The tube circuit uses a pair of 12AX7A tubes capable of delivering warmth and to smoothness to the often-sterile sound of modern digital keyboards. When used with a small amount of drive, the tube section can create natural tube compression and recreate the subtle dynamics that can't be properly emulated by most of today’s digital workstations.

A solid-state signal path can be selected; bypassing the tube circuitry altogether for those times when the cleanest signal path possible is preferred. The K4’s channel one input also features a foot switchable Tube Overdrive control allowing the player to dial in any amount of tube, from subtle warm grit to a full on overdrive.

Versatile inputs allow two stereo sources to be connected to Channel One, while an additional stereo source or a microphone can be connected to Channel Two. Channel Three can handle an additional stereo keyboard or any other source including MP3 player or laptop where additional EQ control isn’t required. Channels One and Two have separate 3-band EQs for tone shaping, while Channel One offers an additional 5-position voicing circuit.

A fourth post DI out stereo input channel with its own gain control can be found on the rear panel of the K4. This versatile fourth channel allows an external click track, drum monitor mix or monitor feed from the FOH or monitor console to be played through the K4 without sending that signal back through the DI outputs. This allows the K4 to act as its own powered monitor, without everything you hear on stage being part of the audience’s mix.

Built for the rigors of the road, the Traynor K4 is manufactured using a solid, void-free plywood cabinet construction and an all-metal grille to protect the high quality speaker components.

Features

True Stereo Configuration in a combo amplifier format

300 watts (200 watts low frequency, 2 x 50 watts mid / high frequencies)

4 sets of front panel stereo inputs (three channels)

Post DI stereo line input with dedicated volume control (rear)

XLR DI Outputs (Stereo)

Solid Plywood Cabinet Construction

All metal grille & metal bar handles

Operates upright or as a wedge monitor

Two year (even if you break it) unlimited transferable warranty*

Hi Elantric.

Thanks for you suggestion about the pedalboards. I downloaded the MIDI "sniffer"(I noticed you put the OSX equivalent on the Utilities page, I have a Mac) and now I'm going to do some experiments. What do you exactly mean about the lack of a "patch toggle mode" on the FC300? I'd like to have a pedalboard that can do the following tricks:

1) Controlling Guitar Rig 3 patches

2) Triggering loops on Ableton Live

3) Controlling an external guitar synth(when the Dark Fire will be able to be connected to...)

4) Possible having an integrated USB interface, since I don't like to have a MIDI box hanging around :-D

For what I understand, the POD XT Live is actually the most close to these requirement.

The Traynor K4 is a grat piece of gear. Unfortunately, seems to be quite impossible to find here in Italy where I live. I contacted Traynor via e-mail and they suggest to phone my local distributor to place an order. The local distributor instead declared that they only deal in guitar tube amps and no in keyboard amps... I'm going to find an online reseller that have the European(220 V) version in stock ready to be delivered to my door.

Cheers,

- Matteo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Elantric, got the FCB1010 but need to decide which PC midi interface to get... Read that the MAudio UNO MIDi/USB interface has some Vista compatibility issues. Do you have any other recommendations?

Sorry to be bugging you with all this. Cheers.

PS. Your TinyURL above seems broken.

Thanks. I use Vista 32 not 64 and don't think I will go to Win7 in a rush. Until SP1 at least and by then I will be ready for a new laptop so who knows maybe I will stray to MacLand... Till then I need a Midi interface. These things are cheap enough that I don't care to throw it away eventually when I go to Win7 or something but in the meanwhile I'd like to get something that is known to work well on Vista 32...

Looking at Motu Fastlane USB . Seems like a robust product with good reputation. Any experience here?

Thanks for all your guidance.

Managed to find a Edirol UM-1EX and got it going on my PC. I can read FCB1010 setup parameters and see pedal output with MIDI Ox. So far so good but for some reason I am not able to get GR3 to Learn... Will spare all of you the details and try NI forum etc and then post back once I have good news.

Archived