Gibson Brands Forums

the hunt for the right acoustic guitar... (long story)

brynte5

Phelonious Ponk

thanx for your input:-)

i´m currently doing my research about about how to get the best sound live, from the guitar!

there are a few interesting options out there...

but considering that i´d personally, rather not have to mess with the inside of the guitar, it narrows things down!

these are some of the alternatives i´m currently checking out:

* fishman aura spectrum di

* lr baggs m-80

* zoom a3

any more awesome alternatives i´m missing here and if you own or have tried any of those, what is your opinion?

I purchased the new ZOOM A3 for a friend I play with in my grup. There are iteresting effecst inside. But not for me, I prefere the Aura DI by Fishman. There are in the AURA DI only bodies (of different type of guitars) simulations and microphones simulations. Enough for me.

I don't think there is mic. simulators in the ZOOM.

Man, you just got to try all the systems in a shop and decide what is your sound.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...

hey guys.

sorry to bring this old thread back to life, but i have some new questions regarding this guitar and some other things previously discussed in this thread, so i figured it would be conveniant to continue here.

first off, i just want to say that i´m really happy with it:-)

sounds and plays great:-)

back to the questions;-)

1 - i do hear some small kind of a "buzzing" sound sometimes, when playing certain tones that create extra much vibrations in the guitar.

this is not happening every time i play, but sometimes i notice it and i´d prefer it gone, of course.

after trying to locate the cause of this noise, i´ve tried to look inside of the guitar, to see if something looks suspicious, but the only thing i´ve found that i suspect could possibly be the cause, is the mic wire, that´s hanging loose inside of the body.

i have no idea if that´s what´s causing it, but regardless, i think it´s totally weird that gibson doesn´t "secure" that wire, so it´s not just hanging loose, as it does now.

i´ve considered using tape, to secure that wire to the top of the body, but i´m not sure if that´s a good idea or not?

what do you guys have to say about this?

2 - i´ve recently bought a couple of pedals that i plan on using with this guitar.

* fishman aura spectrum

* zoom a3

after a lot of "googling" and "youtubing", it was clear to me that these 2 pedals should be a great combo, since the a3 has all of those nice effects that the aura doesn´t have.

about the aura, i still haven´t been able to try it out properly, but the other day, i tried out some of the images.

to find the perfect matching image, i loaded up all the info i have about my gibson acoustic in the aura software and the matching result was the gibson songwriter cutaway, which doesn´t seem that close, being a cutaway and all.

so i´m wondering about what images would be the perfect match for my guitar?

i´m not even sure about this, but it is a dreadnaught, right?

what is the closest gibson model compared to my guitar?

j45? j160?

what do you guys have to say about this?

ok, how do i check that?

by "endpin jack" i guess you mean the input for the guitar cable?

one thing i´ve noted about that input, is that every time i´ve been playing standing up, with a shoulder strap on, the input knob is always loose, so every single time, i have to screw it tight again using my fingers...

the fourth one for this specific model or gibson acoustics in general?

The 4th one , I think , just in general . you know from hanging around in this forum.

I had a buzz on my j45 and it ended up being that endpin / jack plug assembly.

its no big deal , just needs tightened as much as is possible , without being so heavy handed that you ruin it of course.

no need for vice grips or anything. Just finger tight.

I could be wrong ya know and the buzz may be something else . But I always share that one because it was hard for me to pin point.

Maybe a little blob of nut glue that mechanics use on threads may secure it better.

I have fuzzy memory that a little dab of the wife's (or yours) nail varnish will do much the same thing and help keep a nut from vibrating loose ...

wait for someone else to qualify that one though. don't wanna be sued for your finish peeling off because I recommended nail varnish.

I have the AURA and I have found that the J45 image (for me) works best with most Gibsons that does not have a specific Gibson model assigned Aura image.

Plus 2 on the end nut every time I detected a "buzz" the first thing I check is the end pin.

Archived