Gibson Brands Forums

Toggle switch problems

Hi all

Just been to see a LP Standard which I was hoping to buy. The condition was very nice when I got there, and I kinda fell in love with it. Felt great in my hands. But........ When I tried the pickup selector it worked fine in either Rhythm or Treble, ie it would allow tone and volume to be set. But, when in the middle, it was erratic. Either only one pickup working, sometimes two, sometimes none. And it seemed to lose tone authority as well. As I said, fine in "either pickup" position, but faulty when in centre. Is this most likely to be the switch itself? And is it a big/expensive job? I walked away from the guitar, but am still tempted to buy it with a view to getting it professionally repaired.

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

I had these troubles with two brand new LPs, too, assumably due to dusty remains of finish spray. Then I treated the switch with contact cleaner (CRC Chemicals Kontakt 60 which is an all-purpose weapon in this range), engaged it several times, and there's no problem anymore. I just was careful to keep the contact cleaner away from the guitar finish.

It is not recommended to try bending the contacts - they are perfect for decades to my experiences.

Thanks for the reply. If contact cleaner doesn't fix things do you think a new switch is all that's needed to cure the problem?

Yes, but I don't think this is very likely. If a contact cleaner won't do its job on a built-in switch, one can remove it and treat the contacts with thin cloths soaked with contact cleaner. In case there is enough cable length, this can be accomplished very carefully without unsoldering the leads from the switch. Otherwise or to avoid breaking leads due to fatigue caused by bending, the leads should be unsoldered and reattached after cleaning.

I never had to replace a Switchcraft toggle switch before, and don't know of pals or bandmates who needed a new one ever.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your speedy reply. I think I'll go ahead and contact the seller again. Try and agree a new price and see how it pans out. Really don't want it to slip away from me. I can then give it a try with the contact cleaner. How hard can it be? Lol.

Hey bilbosmeggins - how did you get on? Did you get the guitar in the end and did you sort the switch out?

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry both. Didn't realise you had posted 'til just. I had a guitar guru take a look at the switch. He cleaned it all up and the problem, although not as bad, is still there. I'm not altogether sure that it is the switch. When I tried it earlier in the middle position, if I turn the neck up full, and the bridge to zero I get no sound at all. Then if I dial just a tiny about (4-5%) of the the bridge pickup then the neck pickup suddenly bursts into life. I'm thinking of just getting the whole thing completely re-wired and done with it. I just don't play the Gibson at all now 'cos of the erratic behaviour. I tend to play my Fender instead :(

Archived